Audi Q2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I receive inevitable back lash let me explain where I've come from. I have owned a 2013 audi a3 since May 2013. It was a 1.4tfsi 122 now discontinued s line in Daytona grey and it had s line suspension with comfort pack. I then switched this in June 2015 to a 2.0 Tdi pre facelift Audi A3. Still Daytona Grey and again S line but this had one did not have s line suspension. I loved both these cars. Interior quality outstanding, road holding and ride in both great.

As you can probably see from the date I had come to the end of pcp deal. I had seen the Q2 and even though it's a marmite car I loved the look of it especially s line spec. My choice was yet another a3 (yep it's now facelifted but I thought a change might be nice), a mini countryman or the q2. Opted for the q2. I have a good relationship with the salesman I use and he stated it's just a slightly bigger a3, same interior dash, slighgly more interior space, slightly bigger boot etc. I thought great, had a quick look around a highly specced s line. Test drove it and ordered a 2.0 tfsi s line with comfort pack.
Now maybe this is my own naivety but I didn't notice what Audi had done to the a3 interior until owning the car itself.

I'll state again I'm not bashing this car because of the way it looks. I like the look of it but what Audi where thinking is criminal. They took the perfectly fine 2013 Audi A3 interior, removed most quality parts, added cheap plastics, removed colour dis screens, made doors have a tinny and cheap weight to them, no retractable screen, removed chrome and replaced with cheap looking black plastics. The whole thing feels cheaply made. Why they have done this in a car that costs more than an A3 is beyond me? Seems like big costing methods to save them money.

I saw some comments on the cheap quality interior in reviews but thought surely not its an Audi. Other reviews said it's well made. It's not!

Onto to the ride and handling. I have the dynamic suspension as the reviews said best one to go for. Wish I'd gone for s line suspension. It lulls and bobs around horrendously. I feel motion sickness on some roads. Cornering fast feels dangerous even with Quattro and this is the first Quattro I've owned. The A3 diesel with front feel drive feels a lot more secure and firmly planted to the road. I must have test drove the q2 with s line suspension but salesman didn't mention this.

The 2.0 tfsi engine is also terrible. Noisy as the 2.0 Tdi diesel I've come from, unrefined and jerky. I can't comment on any previous 2.0 tfsi as this is the first one I've owned but it will be my last based on this. Yes it's fast off the line but mid range feels no different to the 150 diesel and little difference to a 1.5 150 tfsi petrol a3 the dealership had lent me.

The a3 was facelift. Interior similar to pre facelift but just enough new details and features.
To improve it beyond the pre facelift interior. It felt upgraded as had same standard of quality. The q2 is a massive downgrade interior wise. It feels like they borrowed parts and plastics from SEAT.

If you're here thinking of getting a Q2 don't get one imo. Go for an A3. You're getting a much better quality interior, ride and handling with only slightly less space and practically.

So to end this i'm Going to ask if anyone has any experience of returning a car to the dealer and how did that go?

I want to like this q2 but it just feels like I've downgraded from Audi when I'm inside and driving about . Massively disappointed :cry: :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
So, You visited a showroom, looked round the car, checked the build quality , test drove a car with the engine of your choice?

Happy with everything you bought the car, now its crap...

I'm not sure I understand your thinking and buying process..

I've just ordered a 1.4 S-Line and i'm sure i'll be happy with it as i've made sure its the right choice before I ordered it.

I'd say your stuck with it for at least 2 years, dealer won't take it back, be interesting to see what they would offer you though..
It would seem to cut cost all cars seem to have cheaper plastics these day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you own before your order keeper? I'm sure if you're coming from a lesser make it will be more than adequate to you.

My problem is coming from an A3 (which has practically the same interior) to find Dr Audistein has has taken out all the quality bits and replaced them with crap cheaper made plastic parts more at home in a Nissan or a Ford than a brand such as Audi.

The more I drive it the more I notice more cost cutting measures from Audi. They have been really been crafty ruining a well made interior, charging more and ultimately saving a lot of money.

Also yes you're right I was naive as mentioned in my post above but I trusted my salesman and I also trusted Audi. Audi's have never let me down with quality in the past. I owned an a1 before my a3 and that's better made than this. I trusted Audi not to drop its quality massively and it has.

The car I test drove had the digital speedometer display, full nappa leather, the colour changing dash strip and obviously s line suspension. It seemed smoother and did not bounce around like this one. My eyes at the time were taken away from checking the plastics etc and like I said I trusted Audi not to drop quality. How wrong was I and such a massive mistake I've made.

I will never trust them again.

You're right though I will have to have it for at least two years. I'm already thinking of changing the suspension springs as the ride and handling is so terrible. I can just about cope with the interior if I just totally ignore it on a journey but the ride and cornering I can't. It feels dangerous
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Tiguan SEL
A3 non facelift
A1 Sport

If it to soft for you why don't you investigate lower and firmer springs?
Will be cheaper than a new car, its only lowered by 10mm a good tuning company should be able to offer advise.
Audi I guess should be able to change the springs but could be dearer with no choice.

As for the rest, the engine is new, plastic is what it is, at this stage if you are like me your over analysing every detail of the car and comparing every element of what you think you had in the old car.

I'd just drive it and try and enjoy the learning of a new car, once the newness has warn off and you just jump in and drive, see what bugs you then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea seeing what you've come from keeper you'll agree the plastics aren't even as good as an A1 that has been around since 2010?

This for me is shameful on Audi's part.

Yup I'm exactly like you and over analysing and the more I analyse the more disappointed I'm getting.

Yea cheers I'll check out some tuner companies and get some advice. 👍. Hopefully once this is done I'll like it a bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
There is some truth in what Viperfire says! I too came from an audi A3 and have to say some of the plastics especially in the front door panels are shocking. Also the manual aircon controls are very dull when not illuminated and the dual climate a very expensive option not being part of the comfort pack like I had previously.I take comfort however in the fact that the highest spec uk version nearly 35k has the same plasticky panels and manual aircon, mind boggling really!!!

That said I really like the 1.4 Tfsi engine. Good combination of power and economy. I also like the slightly higher driving position, handling and having a bit extra space now the kids are a bit older. I was pleasantly surprised with how spacious the car feels given it is lifted directly from the A3. I am not sure how Audi have achieved this but it is to be applauded. I think Audi could have done better with the interior though and suspect that the facelift version will address some of the shortcomings but with a reasonable price hike!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I don't understand why you bought a car that you hate so much.

Moral of the story.....do your homework.

As for the Q2, I think its a brilliant car, and before you assume I have come from a 'lesser model' previously haven't, I've had and SQ5 and 2 S3's prior to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I agree with Ian. The Q2 is the best car I have every owned. Maybe not for the race track or for use at Prince Harry's wedding, but by far the best all-rounder I have ever owned. So what other cars do I have? Well, a BMW M2 & an E Type Roadster. I have also owned many Ferraris & Porsches. But the Q2 gives me the most pleasure, best for shopping and for long road trips. Simply Brilliant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I have a Q2 2.0Tdi quattro S-tronic and find it an amazing good car . It drives very good . Before I drive Opel..vauxhall in the UK and the quality difference is great .Audi uses much better quality products . The only this that is not so good for me is Audi connect . Is working today great and tomorrow nothing works .. especially the update function never seems to work . It's my first Audi but surely not my last . ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rosco said:
There is some truth in what Viperfire says! I too came from an audi A3 and have to say some of the plastics especially in the front door panels are shocking. Also the manual aircon controls are very dull when not illuminated and the dual climate a very expensive option not being part of the comfort pack like I had previously.I take comfort however in the fact that the highest spec uk version nearly 35k has the same plasticky panels and manual aircon, mind boggling really!!!

That said I really like the 1.4 Tfsi engine. Good combination of power and economy. I also like the slightly higher driving position, handling and having a bit extra space now the kids are a bit older. I was pleasantly surprised with how spacious the car feels given it is lifted directly from the A3. I am not sure how Audi have achieved this but it is to be applauded. I think Audi could have done better with the interior though and suspect that the facelift version will address some of the shortcomings but with a reasonable price hike!!!!!
Glad i finally have a fellow previous a3 owner like myself to appreciate where I'm coming from!

I understand people coming from other makes saying it's great because it's still decent just not up to the quality of the interior it is based on!

I've test drove a 1.4tfsi a3 and had a 1.5tfsi a3 cab for 1 month and they are both great engines. Very quiet and very smooth especially coupled with the s tronic so hats off to good engine choice rosco.

The 2.0 TFSI I was hoping would be just as refined but it isn't. It's noisy for a petrol, almost gravelly sound and a lot more jerky with the s tronic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I purchased a Q2 S Line with a 1.4Tfsi on demand with seven speed auto. Previously owned an Audi A3 S Line sportback, which I loved, and Viperfire comments have some truth. However we bought the Q2 for more room, higher driving position. We have found it handles well, with excellent mpg on a run and it is comfortable. But some panels are plasticky.
What irritates me that if you look at the latest spec for the S-Line the dual climate is an expensive option. To my mind if you go for the S-Line it is top of the range and it's standard spec should reflect just that. Audi has always been my preferred choice, but if they are going to reduce the spec, then I will look at other manufacturers options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't understand the purpose of this thread. You went to an Audi dealer and test drove a Q2 that 'had the digital speedometer display, full nappa leather, the colour changing dash strip and obviously s-line suspension'. That car was fine. Then you go ahead and buy a Q2 that is different to the spec of the one you drove (e.g., no s-line suspension). Now suddenly, Q2's are horrible! Why didn't you simply ask for a Q2 in the exact spec of the one you test drove? Thats what I did, and the car is just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Markp said:
I purchased a Q2 S Line with a 1.4Tfsi on demand with seven speed auto. Previously owned an Audi A3 S Line sportback, which I loved, and Viperfire comments have some truth. However we bought the Q2 for more room, higher driving position. We have found it handles well, with excellent mpg on a run and it is comfortable. But some panels are plasticky.
What irritates me that if you look at the latest spec for the S-Line the dual climate is an expensive option. To my mind if you go for the S-Line it is top of the range and it's standard spec should reflect just that. Audi has always been my preferred choice, but if they are going to reduce the spec, then I will look at other manufacturers options.
Yea Mark exactly. Some people seem to think I'm personally attacking them. I'm venting at Audi not at people for choosing Q2s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Of you test drive the Q2 then you could see what it had to offer . Now complaining is your own fault .. I have a Q2 2.0 TDIs-tronic and i find it a very good car . Fast ..low fuel consumption and yes ..plastic.. by if you go to BMW or Mercedes ..its all the same more plastic..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I personally don't think you are attacking anyone, merely looking for people to make you feel better about what you believe to be a big mistake.

Now what most seem to find ridiculous is that you bought a car that you didn't like, after taking one out for a test drive. So you sat in an S-line Q2 and bought an S-Line, but now want to return it as its not what you hoped for? It is too cheap inside.....just like the one you drive, you didn't spec the car to the level of the one you sat in but are now complaining its not what you expected? You didn't drive the engine you bought or the suspension you bought yet this is Audi's fault?

There is a recurring pattern here and the issue doesn't lie with Audi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IanQ2 said:
I personally don't think you are attacking anyone, merely looking for people to make you feel better about what you believe to be a big mistake.

Now what most seem to find ridiculous is that you bought a car that you didn't like, after taking one out for a test drive. So you sat in an S-line Q2 and bought an S-Line, but now want to return it as its not what you hoped for? It is too cheap inside.....just like the one you drive, you didn't spec the car to the level of the one you sat in but are now complaining its not what you expected? You didn't drive the engine you bought or the suspension you bought yet this is Audi's fault?

There is a recurring pattern here and the issue doesn't lie with Audi
I think you're being a bit rude and personal about this.

I will write a strongly worded reply later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
No problem, at the end of the day it is you who is moaning about something which you bought so it is generally going to be personal to you.

But hey ho, good luck with sending that car back.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top