Audi Q2 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car arrived on the 12th of July and collecting it on the 24th. Super excited!!

The only worry I have is the mileage. The car will mainly be used for local trips. Once or twice a month I'll be doing a trip to visit my parents. Each trip is about 200 miles altogether both ways. So I can't really gauge whether 5000 miles is too little for me. I did ask to change it to 7000 but that increases the price by £40 a month roughly.

The excess mileage charge is about 5p. So if at the end of 4 years I did an extra 8000 miles hypothetically. I will pay £400 excess charge. But if my pcp went up by £40 a month that’s £1920 extra I’m paying. But I’m guessing with the increased miles I’m gonna lose more value on the car in addition to the excess charge?

The advise the seller gave me was that it should be fine. They said the problem is if you take the car back to Volkswagen services and you are over the mileage limit. But if I was to take it to another dealer, they won't worry about it being over mileage. They will value the car and give me a quote based on that.

That's what I have understood. I'm really new to this whole thing. So any advise would be appreciated. What would be the better thing to do? Change it now or pay the excess if I go over the limit. Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What car are you having?

My 1.5 Petrol Auto has a mileage charge of 8.4 pence per mile including VAT

If you specify 10,000 and do 6,000 they will not give you a rebate.

If you contract 5,000 and do 7,000 then you will have to pay 2,000 x 0.084 = £168

BUT there is normally a total mileage cap... so if for instance you only do 1000 over this year they may ignore it at service - because next year may be less than contract - and they will total up at the end.

But if you contract 5000 and have a first year service at 12,000 miles - then probably VW will ask you to change contract or pay more there and then... but not 100% sure

My suggestion - if you think you will do less than 6000 a year then contract at 5000 miles

If you think you will do 8,000 then contract at 7,000 - that way you dont pay over.

But I think you can talk to VW during contract - as things change for people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting the Audi q2 30 sport. I've been sent paperwork with the 5000 miles a year. But I just wanted to make up my mind about the mileage before I sign it.

I believe my total mileage cap is around 20,000.

I have spoken to them about it. I explained my situation and the dealer says 5000 should be fine, as long as I stay within the cap at the end of the contract. But I don't want to fully trust the dealers and then face charges later. I do think I'm realistically going to do around 7000 or a bit more.

Also been reading about it a lot online. Some websites say the excess mileage charge can vary depending on how much you have exceeded it. So after a certain excess the charge is different. Which is why I'm leaning towards just upping it to 7000 and paying the £40 extra for a peace of mind.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. It was helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have a previous car? Can you look at the service invoices and get an idea of your annual mileage from them?
Hi,
Yes, I did have a look. Last year, I didn't do much driving as everything was mostly online so I have tried to estimate this year using that figure. I also emailed the dealer asking for an exact figure on the monthly payments. And after calling VWFS, it was only a £5 increase. I was a bit annoyed as when I asked the first time, I was told £40 increase on the spot. Would've saved the hassle, if they had got me an accurate figure.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts