Audi Q2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ormesome said:
Looks great. Just need some black Audi rings for the front and rear now!
You've read my mind!

I've been looking at black rings for the front, not so sure about the back mainly because they are stuck on and I think it might be quite hard to get them straight, they would have to be close to perfect or it would not look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Yep, I agree. I replaced mine around 6months ago now. Super easy to do. The rear one is actually really simple because when you take off the old chrome badge, it leaves a residue. what I did was put black tape on the outer edges, meaning that i could stick my new one on in the same place as the old one. It works.
Here are 2 photos of mine, front and rear. Make sure you get gloss black versions. Matte versions look horrible in my opinion, this is because the car's paint is gloss so the matte effect doesn't really fit in with the gloss effect of the rest of the paint.

You could also add the Audi rings to the rear quarter panel. You might have not have selected then though I guess so that's up to you.

IMG_2360.jpeg[/attachment[ATTACH type="full" alt="IMG_2359.jpeg]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ormesome said:
Yep, I agree. I replaced mine around 6months ago now. Super easy to do. The rear one is actually really simple because when you take off the old chrome badge, it leaves a residue. what I did was put black tape on the outer edges, meaning that i could stick my new one on in the same place as the old one. It works.
Here are 2 photos of mine, front and rear. Make sure you get gloss black versions. Matte versions look horrible in my opinion, this is because the car's paint is gloss so the matte effect doesn't really fit in with the gloss effect of the rest of the paint.

IMG_2360.jpeg[/attachment[attachment=0]IMG_2359.jpeg]
Thanks, that's good to know about the rear badge.
Yes it is gloss black rings I am going to get.
Your car is looking good, I don't know why Audi don't offer black rings as an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
andy.h said:
ormesome said:
Yep, I agree. I replaced mine around 6months ago now. Super easy to do. The rear one is actually really simple because when you take off the old chrome badge, it leaves a residue. what I did was put black tape on the outer edges, meaning that i could stick my new one on in the same place as the old one. It works.
Here are 2 photos of mine, front and rear. Make sure you get gloss black versions. Matte versions look horrible in my opinion, this is because the car's paint is gloss so the matte effect doesn't really fit in with the gloss effect of the rest of the paint.

IMG_2360.jpeg[/attachment[attachment=0]IMG_2359.jpeg]
Thanks, that's good to know about the rear badge.
Yes it is gloss black rings I am going to get.
Your car is looking good, I don't know why Audi don't offer black rings as an option.
Thanks, mate. Yes, it is weird they don't offer them as an option. I think on other models they do though. To be honest, it is the only mod I have done. I doubt I'll do more. I do want to get the Audi Beam door lights done and perhaps reverse camera but not on an "urgent" list of to-dos!

What bhp is yours? 35=?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ormesome said:
andy.h said:
ormesome said:
Yep, I agree. I replaced mine around 6months ago now. Super easy to do. The rear one is actually really simple because when you take off the old chrome badge, it leaves a residue. what I did was put black tape on the outer edges, meaning that i could stick my new one on in the same place as the old one. It works.
Here are 2 photos of mine, front and rear. Make sure you get gloss black versions. Matte versions look horrible in my opinion, this is because the car's paint is gloss so the matte effect doesn't really fit in with the gloss effect of the rest of the paint.

IMG_2360.jpeg[/attachment[attachment=0]IMG_2359.jpeg]
Thanks, that's good to know about the rear badge.
Yes it is gloss black rings I am going to get.
Your car is looking good, I don't know why Audi don't offer black rings as an option.
Thanks, mate. Yes, it is weird they don't offer them as an option. I think on other models they do though. To be honest, it is the only mod I have done. I doubt I'll do more. I do want to get the Audi Beam door lights done and perhaps reverse camera but not on an "urgent" list of to-dos!

What bhp is yours? 35=?
The 35 (1.5) TFSI is 150 bhp, just the same as the previous 1.4 TFSI.

The emissions of the 35 are to the latest euro standards, I would imagine they have had to add a particle filter in the exhaust and adjust the mapping to make them run leaner which is probably the main reason that there have been so many complaints about kangarooing etc. I presume they had to increase it to 1.5L to recover the power that was lost due to the new emission standards.
Hopefully as far as my car is concerned there has been a revision done to new cars as I do not seem to have the problems that some people have been having, time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
So no cold start/power loss issues at all? That's good news, and as you say suggests that new cars are having a software update applied at the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
testcard said:
So no cold start/power loss issues at all? That's good news, and as you say suggests that new cars are having a software update applied at the factory.
As of yet i've not had any kangarooing or instances of the engine nearly cutting out so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they have started updating new cars.
Hard to say about a power loss in second gear, my car is S tronic and it seems to accelerate evenly in every gear but I have only done 300 miles so I'm still taking it easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
testcard said:
So no cold start/power loss issues at all? That's good news, and as you say suggests that new cars are having a software update applied at the factory.
Over the weekend there was a morning when the temp. was down below 10 degrees, for the first 1/4 mile there was a wee bit surging, it was not bad and I'm not sure my wife even noticed it and as I said it went away after a short distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ormesome said:
Looks great. Just need some black Audi rings for the front and rear now!
Hi, I got my black Audi rings and when I took the chrome rings off the grill I realised the black rings would not fit. The fixing tags on the black rings are symmetrical from top to bottom but on the genuine Audi chrome rings I took off the car the fixing tags are offset on the top compared to the bottom. Are the rings I took of my car the same as the rings that fit on your car and if so where did you get the black rings or have Audi done a sneaky revision just to annoy people that buy things on eBay.

Hope you can see on the attached picture what I mean.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
The rear is simply stick on, as are the Audi Original rings. Fronts im not sure as i didnt do them, the garage i bought my Q2 from did it for me.

I assume the rings in your foto are the front ones? do they not fit at all? it seems like they should but with less fixing tags?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ormesome said:
The rear is simply stick on, as are the Audi Original rings. Fronts im not sure as i didnt do them, the garage i bought my Q2 from did it for me.

I assume the rings in your foto are the front ones? do they not fit at all? it seems like they should but with less fixing tags?
It's only the front rings, on the grill, that I'm talking about, the tags on the bottom line up but the tags on the top don't. I will give it a try removing the tags on the top but when fitted it will probably not sit hard against the grill, pity it was not the tags on the bottom that didn't line up, removing them would not be so obvious.

The next thing to try will be to see if Audi make black rings that fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
andy.h said:
ormesome said:
The rear is simply stick on, as are the Audi Original rings. Fronts im not sure as i didnt do them, the garage i bought my Q2 from did it for me.

I assume the rings in your foto are the front ones? do they not fit at all? it seems like they should but with less fixing tags?
It's only the front rings, on the grill, that I'm talking about, the tags on the bottom line up but the tags on the top don't. I will give it a try removing the tags on the top but when fitted it will probably not sit hard against the grill, pity it was not the tags on the bottom that didn't line up, removing them would not be so obvious.

The next thing to try will be to see if Audi make black rings that fit.
I understand. give it a try. i think Audi rings are expensive directly from Audi. Plenty on ebay that are good and cheap. Be careful when cutting the ring tags, cutting it might cause the paint to chip and break off.

The rings rings in your photos, bottom ones, look slightly larget than the top. could this be it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ormesome said:
I understand. give it a try. i think Audi rings are expensive directly from Audi. Plenty on ebay that are good and cheap. Be careful when cutting the ring tags, cutting it might cause the paint to chip and break off.

The rings rings in your photos, bottom ones, look slightly larget than the top. could this be it?
The rings are both the same size, the difference is because I took the picture at an angle to show up the tags better.

Yeah there are plenty on eBay but it's finding ones that fit, I will try and find out how much genuine rings are, if nothing else it will be amusing to find out how much they can charge you for a bit of painted plastic.

If I have no luck I will try the Audi-Sport forum as there are maybe other Audi models that have the same problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
andy.h said:
ormesome said:
I understand. give it a try. i think Audi rings are expensive directly from Audi. Plenty on ebay that are good and cheap. Be careful when cutting the ring tags, cutting it might cause the paint to chip and break off.

The rings rings in your photos, bottom ones, look slightly larget than the top. could this be it?
The rings are both the same size, the difference is because I took the picture at an angle to show up the tags better.

Yeah there are plenty on eBay but it's finding ones that fit, I will try and find out how much genuine rings are, if nothing else it will be amusing to find out how much they can charge you for a bit of painted plastic.

If I have no luck I will try the Audi-Sport forum as there are maybe other Audi models that have the same problem.
yeah ask over on Audi Sport. im sure someone will help. Maybe try the A3 forum as i usually do and have more luck there. Good luck. Defo post back with what you find :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
From memory, and looking at your pics, I snapped the bottom outer tabs off my black rings and as the rest of the tabs lined up. Not had any issues at all and they fit tight, might be worth a try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IanQ2 said:
From memory, and looking at your pics, I snapped the bottom outer tabs off my black rings and as the rest of the tabs lined up. Not had any issues at all and they fit tight, might be worth a try
Yeah that is a possibility but I have found rings on Amazon that list the Q2 so I'm waiting for details of them to see if they will fit.

It appears that there are two version of the 285mm x 100mm rings some have tags that are symmetrical and some are not. Most of the rings sold on eBay appear to be the symmetrical ones.

I will tell you how I get on, on way or the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I have already done 1000 miles and I have not noticed this problem. It is a 35 TFSI Stronic 150 HP and it is working fine at the moment. I do really like to use the sport mode and the sprint looks quite nice on the first gears.
I hope I will not have problems.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top