Audi Q2 Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
One thing to consider her is are you drying after washing? It would be that the marks are water marks from hard water.

Where I live we have hard water and if I do not dry the car (I always do anyway) I end up with water marks on the whole car. Something perhaps to bear in mind.

My trims have been fine now ever since using Gyeon Prep. I always use a quick detailer on the car after washing though and my quick detailer is safe on all surfaces so it goes on the rubbers too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gyeon Prep is a solvent based cleaner which I would not use regularly on my car. Being basically an alcohol solution over use could be detrimental to the rubber window seals. It's degreasing properties are probably what is removing the mottling effect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Wife's Q2. I just give them a decent clean with APC when needed. I rinse with DI water now anyway, so no water marks. I then just protect with something like Carpro Perl or Gummi Pflege.

·
Registered
192 Posts
electric said:
Gyeon Prep is a solvent based cleaner which I would not use regularly on my car. Being basically an alcohol solution over use could be detrimental to the rubber window seals. It's degreasing properties are probably what is removing the mottling effect.
No one is suggesting using it regulary, the intention is to remove the issue at source, which I believe to be oils an residue in the rubber. I could however be wrong but it certaily looked like that to me. I agree with you on the comment regarding the degreasing properties removing the issue but the general properties of Prep I believe will also be helping.

Once stripped of these oils (by way of the solvent and degreasing based properties of gyeon prep) as with any rubber I would suggest a dressing of some description. Now typically these rubber dressings do not last that long so regular reapplication of these would be required.

I suspect the reappearence is more likely to be water spotting than the original issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have yet to find a rubber dressing that lasts any length of time so that is not a solution. I suspect that its the quick detailer that you use every time you wash your car that is proving to be the solution for you at least. I don't live in a hard water area so that's not the cause but I think that given time the seals will weather and that will be an end to the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just checked mine. Mottled markings back again. Will contact the dealership again.
Good evening,
I hope that you can help me. I realise that this is a very old post but I am having the same mottled problem with my almost new Audi A1 The dealership has been no help at all and even told me that the problem was because I had washed my car with Autoglym so wasn't covered by the warranty.
Please could you tell me your outcome? I am so disappointed with Audi.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to forum and have already posted this question elsewhere on the forum......wrong place, I suspect.
My new Q2 has very odd mottled grey/black window seals. I first thought it was pattern! But it's clearly not as it's very irregular and doesn't look good. Has anyone else experienced this? my A1 didn't have this issue.
Mine was exactly the same. 2021 S-line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not leaving it there though. I am furious at the way Audi have treated me. There know about this problem and yet they are trying to blame their customers. Audi UK even told me to contact Halfords (where I bought the Autoglym) because it may be a dodgy batch. They must think I was born yesterday! I didn't buy a car with mottled seals, I don't want a car with mottled seals and if there is no cure (which there is not, I have spent weeks and weeks researching this)
Audi will have to sort it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not leaving it there though. I am furious at the way Audi have treated me. There know about this problem and yet they are trying to blame their customers. Audi UK even told me to contact Halfords (where I bought the Autoglym) because it may be a dodgy batch. They must think I was born yesterday! I didn't buy a car with mottled seals, I don't want a car with mottled seals and if there is no cure (which there is not, I have spent weeks and weeks researching this)
Audi will have to sort it.
Hi
I have noticed the same problem with the seals on my Q2 and at the early stages of deciding what to do. Have Audi sorted it for you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, mine is the same after 3 months. However a wipe with Back-to-Black silicone spreay seems to have sorted it for the moment. However there is also a rear suspension rattle, so will mention it when it goes in for that.

Ernie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, mine is the same after 3 months. However a wipe with Back-to-Black silicone spreay seems to have sorted it for the moment. However there is also a rear suspension rattle, so will mention it when it goes in for that.

Ernie
Thanks for the reply. If you could provide details of the silicone product you used that would be great. Although the rubbers do water mark very easily I think the positive is that the rubbers are not degrading by absorbing the water so maybe they last longer! I think with natural wear and tear the water marks will be less noticeable hopefully…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If you could provide details of the silicone product you used that would be great. Although the rubbers do water mark very easily I think the positive is that the rubbers are not degrading by absorbing the water so maybe they last longer! I think with natural wear and tear the water marks will be less noticeable hopefully…
Ok, will do but on holiday atm, so I'll get back to you later. By that time it may have worn off like other treatments seem to have!

Ernie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used Simonize Tyre and Plastic Dressing, aka Back-to-Black. This is silicone-based and I wipe it on after spraying it onto a rag. I won't pretend that it is a permanent fix, but to my mind it is better than the risks of having the doors dismantled and the seals replaced.

On a side note, I think some of the other VW products that have chromed seals around the windows look much better anyway!

Ernie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used Simonize Tyre and Plastic Dressing, aka Back-to-Black. This is silicone-based and I wipe it on after spraying it onto a rag. I won't pretend that it is a permanent fix, but to my mind it is better than the risks of having the doors dismantled and the seals replaced.

On a side note, I think some of the other VW products that have chromed seals around the windows look much better anyway!

Ernie
Thanks for the product details. If the rubber seals are my only issue with the car I can probably live with it, but I do wish it had chrome seals!!Other car makes with rubber seals do not appear to have the same issue, so disappointing that Audi are aware of this issue and have continued to use the same seals since 2017. Probably because the Q2 and A1 will not be manufactured after 2026 and I’m sure they hope individuals will trade in there car for a shiny new one if they are not entirely happy the car. They risk sending customers elsewhere as you should not have this issue with a premium car! Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the product details. If the rubber seals are my only issue with the car I can probably live with it, but I do wish it had chrome seals!!Other car makes with rubber seals do not appear to have the same issue, so disappointing that Audi are aware of this issue and have continued to use the same seals since 2017. Probably because the Q2 and A1 will not be manufactured after 2026 and I’m sure they hope individuals will trade in there car for a shiny new one if they are not entirely happy the car. They risk sending customers elsewhere as you should not have this issue with a premium car! Thanks again
I agree fully with your sentiments!

81 - 99 of 99 Posts