Audi Q2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted elsewhere that I also have an interest in Seat's Ateca and I took a diesel out yesterday and pretty impressive it was too.

However, the sales guy warned me that if I did a low daily mileage I may have issues with the DPF - the Diesel Particulate Filter. He told me how this worked through something of a regeneration process that requires the exhaust to reach a higher than normal temperature to clean itself. Short journeys or those involving a lot of stop/start may mean that this filter then clogs and refuses to work. He reckoned it was a potentially expensive fix that may involve parts of the exhaust and that NONE OF THESE WOULD BE COVERED BY WARRANTY.

As someone who now does a tiddly daily mileage of ~5, typically in 30MPH zones I fear that the current VAG diesels may not be for me unless Audi handle this (ahem) emissions issue differently. As I'm really after a 4WD Quattro variant and don't merit the to-be-announced performance petrol engine should I be looking elsewhere now?

Any comments and thoughts would be most welcome.

Best wishes,

Ava

·
Administrator
417 Posts
All Diesel engines have this same 'issue' , all you need is a decent drive out every now and again to burn it off.

I've had a Bmw Diesel for 5 years, only a small trip of 4 miles to work and back. Longer trips every couple of weeks. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do a 35 mile trip to work, on the route home i do a few hundred yards through the estate in 2nd gear slowly, thats enough to turn the DPF on occasionally, just means the care sits on the drive with the fan running very fast for a few mins, never had an issue in three years. Just take it for a run out every now and then. At that milage i'd look at the 1.4, if you live in a snowy area put a set of show tyres on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob said:
All Diesel engines have this same 'issue' , all you need is a decent drive out every now and again to burn it off.

I've had a Bmw Diesel for 5 years, only a small trip of 4 miles to work and back. Longer trips every couple of weeks. Never had any issues.
Cheers, Rob. As you'll have gathered I've never owned a diesel. What you won't know is I'm a pessimistic old git and knowing my luck any longer trips I do won't do the business for me. I asked the Seat guy to point me to a link about their lack of liability but he said it was Seat confidential.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keeper said:
I do a 35 mile trip to work, on the route home i do a few hundred yards through the estate in 2nd gear slowly, thats enough to turn the DPF on occasionally, just means the care sits on the drive with the fan running very fast for a few mins, never had an issue in three years. Just take it for a run out every now and then. At that milage i'd look at the 1.4, if you live in a snowy area put a set of show tyres on it.
Cheers Keeper. I'm guessing the configuration that includes Audi's auto and DSG doesn't exist in 1.4 petrol?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have run a 1.6 Volkswagen TDI in a Polo for 6 years. The blocked filter warning light has only come on twice - both times after being in heavy traffic. This was easily cleared by a short run at 70 mph. I now do 2 - 2 mile journeys per day with a fast run at weekends and have had no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts