Audi Q2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second Q2 and this time I got tailgate that opens when I’m outside with key fob. I have found that the windows go part way down and last week it was three windows when I was indoors. For the first time, the same night as windows went down, the boot opened when parked in driveway and if it hadn’t been for a parcel delivery about 8pm I wouldn’t have known anything about it as I can’t see car in driveway. I checked with my neighbour and he said it wasn’t opened when he came home from work about 6 pm. Everything in boot was soaked but thankfully I have a boot liner and could pour water out!
I had car in at Audi fabout windows previously and no fault found. Car was booked in yesterday for another issue so added the latest issues and I got call today to say there were no faults registered with car and inspection couldn’t find a fault. They suggested turning off door locking system on key! The inference is that I am accidentally pressing key fob when key is in handbag etc. I’m totally frustrated with this and I see on Google that others have had the window problem but on a different model some time ago. I’m more concerned about safety with boot opening and possible theft from boot contents.
I wondered if any Q2 owners have had a similar problem and would appreciate the thoughts of other owner/users.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not had your problem but over the last few weeks the my Audi app has been showing the windows and tailgate open on several occasions when they were all shut I am glad to say.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not had your problem but over the last few weeks the my Audi app has been showing the windows and tailgate open on several occasions when they were all shut I am glad to say.
Thanks for your response. I haven’t installed the app so haven’t had that problem. Collected my car today and it was a total waste of time. I’ll be taking photos of windows and any unusual activity with boot and logging it all now.
I hope you don’t have the problem with app again but at least the info was wrong although somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Might be worth investing in a wireless security camera and actually capture the fault?.Audi service will have to acknowledge the fault exists then.Agree its frustrating when you take the car into the service department and you get the 'couldn't find anything wrong' report.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice about camera. I’ll give some thought to having one installed. My sister had a colleague who had this problem with his windows doing same thing too and it was never resolved. The fact I was told I could turn the facility off by using settings on car defeats the point of having it in the first place!
I suppose the more technical vehicles become the more problems they have! Happy driving now that we are a bit more free to roam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I had a similar problem with the mysterious self-opening boot on an A4 some years ago. The car was fitted with keyless entry, & if you waved the key fob past the sensor located behind the rear bumper, the boot lid would spring open. Like you, I was concerned over security. The car went back to the dealer 4 or 5 times (3 months for the last visit), they couldn't solve it, Audi UK had no clue, & ever the factory couldn't help. Eventually, Audi UK agreed to take the car back & put me in another car. Suggest you take it up with Audi UK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Martyn
Thank you for your reply and it has made my day! You have reassured me that I’m not losing the plot. My family were saying it is not possible for the boot to open itself and the dealership were saying there is no note of this fault having been registered before🤔. I’m just about to fill in review of my recent experience and i will certainly be logging this issue.
Does anyone know if this malfunction should register on the cars system?
I’ll be monitoring this very closely and may well take up your advice which is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How old is your Q2 ?.If it is the latest version like mine you can set up the my Audi app which you can use remotely to monitor the windows/tailgate.Again if the vehicle is brand new you could try rejecting the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found a similar thread on this subject from 2012 which makes for interesting reading:

All windows keep lowering by themselves overnight!

What was new to me was this:

Found out that if you press and hold unlock on the key fob, all the windows open, and if you press and hold lock on the key fob, all the windows shut
I tried it on my Q2 (2018 plate) today and nothing happened when I held down the unlock key, which seems to imply mine doesn't have this feature or it's been disabled.

Personally, I'm happy with that - I'm not quite sure I would ever need to remotely open or close all my windows as I tend to leave my car in the state I want it when I park up.

@Tinaturbo to rule out that this isn't what you're experiencing, might it be worth disabling the feature to confirm or rule out somehow something is triggering that function?

There's a second thread here which is interesting, pointing to a device which might be operating on a frequency which triggers the doors:

windows and doors opening on their own

The first (and most common) possibility is that something has held the unlock button on the fob.
Disable the feature, and test it out by holding down the unlock button.

If this is truly disabled - the second probability is RFI related (if the dealer has discounted an electrical fault with the car).
Something in the vicinity is radiating a 433MHz (UK) frequency, or an IF of that frequency, causing the car to unlock. It's a ** to find, as it could be something like next doors microwave oven, garage door opener, remote thermometer, remote control gates, wireless alarm devices, remote meters, etc.

I successfully demonstrated this on my neighbours brand new 5-series BMW. I brought home a lowish power RF link from work, pointed it at his car, and fired it up. All his electric windows lowered, doors unlocked, hazards flashed, and his instrument pack lit up like a christmas tree!
Hope this gives a couple of ideas - let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you very much for this interesting information. The dealership wanted to turn off the window function which can easily be done on car settings. I didn’t agree to this but know it is an option for me. I’ll get my family, who are more tech minded to try out what you suggest. I will keep the forum updated with what’s happening as I’m now closely monitoring this situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts