Audi Q2 Forum banner

Parking Brake

26K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  duncanmck58 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with the parking brake not auto releasing after throttle input?
This has happened to me (and my wife) when driving from stationary in both first and reverse gears. Seat belts were being worn and doors were shut.

The problem was initially intermittent but over a week became constant. On one occasion when parked on an incline with a wall in front several attempts of releasing whilst in reverse resulted in getting closer and closer to the wall before finally getting the parking brake to free-up by constantly dipping the throttle. I know there is a manual way of getting it to release by depressing the brake pedal and flicking the switch but this is not suitable for all occasions and more to the point shouldn't generally be necessary.

Took it back to the dealer and was able to demonstrate the problem several times to the 'Master Technician' who arranged for it to be booked in two weeks hence. As the time approached for the service appointment the problem became intermittent again and guess what after 24 hours, with the dealer and their Master Technicians, it had gone and they were unable to replicate it.

Brought the car home tonight but a bit concerned it will happen again. Any thoughts/advice gratefully accepted.

See less See more
#3 ·
That happened to me on one occasion after owning the car for around a month. I was on a hill and have Hill Hold Assist too... wasn't sure if it was an issue with the electromechanical parking break or Hill Hold Assist. It was frustrating at the time and think I mentioned it on here a long time ago. Similar to you but had a car behind me (not a wall) and was getting closer to that. That was the only occasion I have had an issue with it and probably done over 10,000 miles since then. Told myself if it happened again then I would take it into the dealers...

#4 ·
Have had similar problem. Brake stays locked and can't move either forward or reverse, unless I press he brake pedal and flick the switch off. Happened once in traffic and caused me to start to roll back ! Fortunately caught it in time before rolled into car behind. Haven't got 'roll back'. Just had the car serviced and Audi said that they could find no fault with the system. Need to go back and demonstrate to Audi if it becomes persistent enough.

#5 ·
I've never had this happen to me since, although at my first service in Nov '17 there was a recall for an ECU update on the mechanical break. That may have been the problem and the fix for it. Since the first instance though I think it damaged the clutch which slips a little on occasions when setting off. Naturally Audi can find no fault! Done over 40K now and will look to trade it in in the next six months or so.

#11 ·
I originally had the the problem of the electronic handbrake (2017 1.4 Q2) not releasing early 2019. It happened intermittently, but often enough to become a pain - and a worry. Booked in for review but engineer couldn't find the fault. I spent over an hour with him trying to replicate the problem, to no avail. The problem didn't arise again until March this year. And it seemed to be getting progressively worse, so much so that my wife refused to drive the car. I went to the trouble of making a video of the problem occurring and managed to record several instances. This was fortunate, as once again Audi Service couldn't identify the problem. Eventually - after over a month - I agreed to take the car back, but only when provided with a letter of assurance for my insurance company that that the car was roadworthy and safe. Originally I had in mind to trade in for the new Q2 model, but since there's no indication the issue has been identified or rectified I think I may be going elsewhere!

#12 ·
My 2019 Q2 has an intermittent stop /start it works then does,nt also my auto braking has failed several times < the most recent i had been out came home parked on my drive which has a small incline went in the house came back out and my car had rolled back into the side of my neighbours car , went to see the service manager who said you shouldnt trust it and use thehand brake manually ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.