Audi Q2 Forum banner

Metallic Noise Starting my Q2 110 TDI Sport

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  spretv 
#1 ·
Hello from Down Under,

I got my Q2 (Only 4800 kms ) checked for an annoying noise I noticed while in a drive through (Stop/Start Active). There is this metallic squeaky noise when it starts the engine.

Dealer got back to me and said they need my car for 3 days as they need to replace the flywheel with a revised one!!! Apparently its an issue with the ring gear and the starter motor.

Any one in Europe have encountered this issue? I just had a horrible ownership experience with a Polo GTI and I hope this is not the start of another nightmare!!!

Regards,

Eugene

#2 ·
Hello from Romania.
I got my Q2 in June and from first week I heard that metallic sound when the engine starts (2.0 TDI). After I saw your post I contacted my dealer, and now Im waiting for an answer.
The first time I thought it seemed to me, then I said it was normal for a diesel engine to sound this way.
Thanks for brought this up.

#3 ·
Hi mate, there was nothing normal about the noise, you wont notice it inside the car, try an enclosed space and open the window like a drive thru. The person in the counter got startled when it started as I drove off. It was that loud. I have the same engine as yours although its only the 110 kw

#5 ·
UPDATE: Just got back from dealer and they said that they will replace the flyweel sometime next week. Mechanics recorded the noise of engine start, made some photos and then ordered the falty parts. Next week I will comeback for replacement.
It was really quick, my impression is that is a issue known to Audi.

#7 ·
Greetings from Greece,

I have a 1.6TDI Q2 and I experience the same thing. I can hear a weird noise coming from he engine like a stone in a can lets say, and this occurs when I start the engine mainly. Do you think this can be fixed? What about the flying wheel ? The car is brand new with about 9K kms.

#8 ·
My Q2 1.6 TDI packed up last weekend with only 800 miles and just 10 days old had VAG assist turn up and plug diagnostic into the car but no fault codes came up car was taken to the supplying dealer for them to find a fault .i was informed that there was a technical service bulletin Saying that the fuel additive should be put in the fuel tank and then run the whole tank of fuel if there was a noise in the engine.. As this was not the fault in my car I have rejected this fix. I believe it's the low pressure side on the fuel pump. HVe just had the hire car replaced with a Q3 not impressed. To be honest not impressed with the dealer or Audi think I should have had another Vauxhall Mokka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.