Audi Q2 Forum banner

Battery cover

17K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  mr c 
#1 ·
Is the battery in a Q2 sport supposed to have a cover over the top , mine doesn't have one though it shows one in the manual

#5 ·
Funny you should say that they know what they are doing! My original battery lasted 6 months, then failed. I got taken to the local Audi dealership thanks to Audi Assist and they changed the battery to a Varta one. Original was defective. Apparently, Audi knows about this and are replacing all of them. This is through the Audi range too. Unfortunately, I'm unsure of the original batteries brand!

BTW, if you have a side covered box, are you sure that the top cover hasnt been put inside accidentally when the battery was installed?

#6 ·
Good idea about the top cover being hidden - will check!
I have disabled the startstop function to prevent some wear on the battery, however just remembered I had a low battery level warning for no reason last weekend, so yeah there might be a battery replacement coming in the next few months for me too! The original battery is "Made in Poland" brand. Looks like Audi's trying their luck with where some cash could be saved.

#8 ·
Hi I have a 2017 1.4 tfsi edition 1 which I have had from new 20/11/17 fitted with a moll EFB 6R0 915B 12v 69ah 360 din battery which seems fine at the moment is this the battery causing the problem. Also it has no top cover just round the sides. Cheers.

#13 ·
Kitkitkit said:
ormesome said:
Are you sure it isn't just folded in on itself? Iv seen that in the past.
Mine is definitely just the side covered now. I took the whole thing off.
Very strange, unles Audi damaged it whilst in for a service and that's the replacement or updated version? A few people don't even have the cover it seems.

#18 ·
A couple of quick questions about the battery as I have a Moll battery in my Q2:

1) Is there anyway to tell whether I have an affected battery (eg from a serial number of manufacture date)? https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/460991-battery-fault-and-replacement-vehicle/?do=findComment&comment=5173957 mentions the "duff batteries have been identified as being clear by week 22 2018" and wondered if it was a similar timeframe on the Q2?

2) In the event I decide to extend my warranty with Audi after year 3, would that cover a battery failure in year 4 or 5?

3) Any other advice for keeping the battery in good shape now that I'm not driving as often? I'm currently trying to drive the car for 30 minutes every 10 days or so.

#19 ·
richii said:
A couple of quick questions about the battery as I have a Moll battery in my Q2:

1) Is there anyway to tell whether I have an affected battery (eg from a serial number of manufacture date)? https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/460991-battery-fault-and-replacement-vehicle/?do=findComment&comment=5173957 mentions the "duff batteries have been identified as being clear by week 22 2018" and wondered if it was a similar timeframe on the Q2?

2) In the event I decide to extend my warranty with Audi after year 3, would that cover a battery failure in year 4 or 5?

3) Any other advice for keeping the battery in good shape now that I'm not driving as often? I'm currently trying to drive the car for 30 minutes every 10 days or so.
Ok so a few things. Firstly, why worry if your battery is fine? You are covered by your warranty, many of us here have had the battery changed for free and under warranty. Also, the battery doesn't just die. You will notice over the period of a month or so, the car will take a few cranks to start. This will get worse as time goes on. Mine took a month before it died. I got towed to the Audi dealership, and was changed within the hour. Inconvenient yes, worth worrying about and pre-empting when there are no problems...No! I actually pre-empted mine. I was going away to India and 2 days before leaving I took the car to the garage to fill the tank, the car died at the garage, I knew this would happen and I didn't want to return from India with the car battery dead, so you can see that it's preemptable.

Secondly, extended warranty. I have loads of info on this if you want it regarding prices and how to get it cheaper via Audi. You need to take out the policy in the last month of your current standard 3 years, if you do not do this then the price doubles. And yes, your battery will be covered. Your battery might be covered even if you aren't in warranty as it's defective, it why not call you dealer? Either way, for sure extend your warranty if you are keeping the car.

Thirdly, no advice at all. Sorry! Too many variants, do you have a garage at home? Can you add a tricky charger? Is your car a diesel?

#20 ·
If you have a garage trickle chargers work great,
I have one on my Alpha Spider all the time as it's a sunny day car and is always parked up right through the winter.
The one I purchased was called Streetwise Think I paid £14 from Screwfix but it was over three years ago so is reliable as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.