EFB+ battery

New to the Audi Q2 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pelsall kev

EFB+ battery

Post by Pelsall kev » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 pm

My 17 plate Q2 has now failed to start on two occasions recently. Second time this morning. AA Audi were called to assist. Informed that lots of issues with 17 plate registered VW group vehicles and that there is an unofficial recall to rectify this issue. Is anyone else privy to this problem?

ormesome

Re: EFB+ battery

Post by ormesome » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Just before xmas my Q2 started to struggle to start, always started but took longer. One day it started and i went around 5miles to fill up with fuel. after filling up she wouldnt start. called Audi Assist and they diagnosed a faulty battery. I rang my dealer the next day as it was a sunday when it happened, they replaced it under warranty the same day. Really happy with service. They didnt say if it was a problem or a recall etc.... but it was done free and covered so its worth ringing your dealer about it.

IanQ2

Post by IanQ2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 am

I've just had mine changed under warranty, Audi/VW have had a bad batch of MLA MOLL batteries, there are loads of cars/vans affected.

Argyll

Post by Argyll » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:27 am

Knowing that there was an issue with the 2017 VAG Moll batteries I checked my own and could only charge it to approx 50% capacity. The stop start hasn't functioned for ages and I know that this is a symptom.

I called my dealer to ask if they stocked batteries and what the price was but they more or less insisted that I book the car in as it was a warranty issue. Fair enough, but after waiting 3 hours this morning they explained that my battery only had a 54% charge and that they would need the car overnight to run a full diagnostic programme.

I asked for my keys back and will buy a new battery elsewhere in due course. Felt that I was caught up in some kind of Monty Python sketch.

IanQ2

Post by IanQ2 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Argyll wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:27 am
Knowing that there was an issue with the 2017 VAG Moll batteries I checked my own and could only charge it to approx 50% capacity. The stop start hasn't functioned for ages and I know that this is a symptom.

I called my dealer to ask if they stocked batteries and what the price was but they more or less insisted that I book the car in as it was a warranty issue. Fair enough, but after waiting 3 hours this morning they explained that my battery only had a 54% charge and that they would need the car overnight to run a full diagnostic programme.

I asked for my keys back and will buy a new battery elsewhere in due course. Felt that I was caught up in some kind of Monty Python sketch.

Just let the battery die and get it done under warranty. I had a courtesy car while it was in getting done (over the christmas period) and it was no issue at all.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Doesn't sound like good service. From the moment i arrived at the dealership to driving away, it was perhaps 1hr. They did a full diagnostic and changed the battery. I broke down on a Sunday and needed to call Audi Assist so they were aware of the problem. I called the dealership on the Monday as soon as they opened and they got me in before lunchtime.

Argyll

Post by Argyll » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 pm

If only all dealers were the same.................

Although they couldn't replace my faulty battery they did kindly send me a nice video (as they did a few weeks ago during my service) telling me in detail that the tread on my tyres was good, as were my brakes.

I have ordered a Yuasa replacement stop/start battery and will fit it on Friday. Halfords, for once, were very price competitive. I will not be returning to my dealer for either sales, servicing or even warranty issues - a complete waste of time. I'd rather pay and get the job done that I asked for.

Hasn't put me off the Q2 though - cracking little car 8-)

mr c

Post by mr c » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:07 am

Argyll wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 pm
If only all dealers were the same.................

Although they couldn't replace my faulty battery they did kindly send me a nice video (as they did a few weeks ago during my service) telling me in detail that the tread on my tyres was good, as were my brakes.

I have ordered a Yuasa replacement stop/start battery and will fit it on Friday. Halfords, for once, were very price competitive. I will not be returning to my dealer for either sales, servicing or even warranty issues - a complete waste of time. I'd rather pay and get the job done that I asked for.

Hasn't put me off the Q2 though - cracking little car 8-)
Havn't you got another dealer within travelling distance to you? you don't have to use the dealer you purchased the car from, and yes dealers to vary enormously unfortunately

Argyll

Post by Argyll » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:53 pm

The new Yuasa battery is fantastic. The car now starts in a split second! I thought that 3 or 4 cranks were the norm but obviously not.

The old battery only measured 12.2v today. It doesn't take a 24 hour diagnostic, plus reams of online evidence, to work out that it was a dud. But that's the world we live in folks :|

Return to “Introductions”