Roof Rack

All Audi Q2 related discussions
ormesome

Roof Rack

Post by ormesome » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Good evening all

I saw something somewhere that suggested the Q2 has the same roof rack mountings as the A3? The Q2 roof rack here in Switzerland is super expensive, almost 3x the amount of the A3 roof rack so i would like to order something cheaper!

If anyone has any info then that would be great. :D
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

testcard

Re: Roof Rack

Post by testcard » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 pm

Thule are worth considering as an alternative to Audi OEM roof racks. This link has 5 models for the Q2.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack/roof-racks
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 pm

testcard wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 pm
Thule are worth considering as an alternative to Audi OEM roof racks. This link has 5 models for the Q2.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack/roof-racks
Thanks for the link. Yeah, i had a Thule for ages. Prefer them to Audi OEM. On Thule the prices seem the same actually. The Q2 is a new model so soemtimes the accessories are higher priced than others like the A3. I can get an A3 roofrack for around 130pounds compared to Q2 for 250 for a generic rack off eBay

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Seems like the Q2 shares the A3 Sportback & Saloon parts from Thule apart from the Kit Pack.

HawkEye7

Post by HawkEye7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 pm

https://www.audipartsprime.com/ is a great source for OEM Audi roof racks. They can also ship to your freight forwarder if need be. They are legit. Hope this helps

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Just a follow up post regarding the roof rack. Finally got mself one. Went down to the local Audi dealership to look at their "racks" ( :lol: ) but found the OEM rack really bad quality and the design awful for the Q2. It seemed like it was standing up really high. Anyway, went to the local car shop, they had Thule bars and fittings there and the difference was huge. The Thule rack is much better designed, not standing on the car like the OEM rack, seems to be able to aid air flow too as its the Evo bar. Price wise was pretty similar, in pounds it was 200ish with all fittings.

Some pics are here:

fullsizeoutput_14bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14bb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14ba.jpeg

aidam11

Post by aidam11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

I have original Q2 racks, bought for 200EUR off original Audi dealer and I don't agree they're bad quality.
Looking at your photos it's true original racks are a bit taller/higher but I guess that's to make a good clearance when you have a box fitted so you can fully open the trunk door - so you don't have to slide the box forward to have it hanging over your windshield.
What's the rubber like on these four consoles - does it have a specific shape to copy the Q2's roof line or is it a generic one?

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

The rubber base parts are specific to the Q2. They have to be. The good thing about Thule is that all their roof racks are interchangable. For example, if i buy a BMW next, then i just have to change the footpack to the specific one for the new car.

I take your point on quality, but i do not understand what you mean regarding the design or height. If it were to create clearance for the boot opening then it wouldnt be height that is needed.

aidam11

Post by aidam11 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:51 pm

This actually does make sense!

Height-clearance - it's the rear spoiler that can get in the way if the clearance is lower but it depends from the box etc. I never tested it with Thule racks so I'm just thinking aloud on this one.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm

sorry but it doesnt make sense!! :lol: the aerial will get in the way before the roof rack! the roof rack is mounted more frontwards than the aerial and is no where near catching it! In my 1st photo above you can see that the rear roofrack is mounted in the middle of the rear window, the aerial is around the same lines as the middle of the "black blade" trim. The spoiler would have to go so far backwards when the boot is opened to even catch the aerial, let alone the roofrack. The roofrack is mounted in specific holes in the Q2, it cant be mounted anywhere else! For your theory to make sense then it would have to be mounted near the rear "black blade" parts. If this were true then yes, the AUdi OEM height makes sense, but at the fittings points that Audi give, it really doesnt.

If you mean that a roofbox doesnt gain clerance, then im not sure as i do not have one yet. but i would be thinking along the lines of that you have to buy one that fits your car? and that the spoiler would only be a few cms before the whole boot lid anyway so it wont affect much?

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”