Fuel Cap Flap

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Phoenix21

Fuel Cap Flap

Post by Phoenix21 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Hello

My Q2 is just over 3 years old and the fuel cap flap is not working properly. It started about 3 months ago when the flap would not open when pushed. If I lock and unlock the central locking a couple of times then it would open but now it just won't open normally. I have to go through a series of rigmaroles to get it open and I am afraid soon even that will not work. Luckily so far I have not got stuck without fuel but this of course is concerning to say the least.

I am going to phone my local Audi dealer next week and discuss this. I feel although the car is 3 years old this should be fixed/replaced free of charge as you don't expect this to go wrong after 3 years. I have never ever this problem with any of my other cars.

What do people think? I was thinking of squirting some WD-40 but not sure it will cause more damage.
Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks..

ormesome

Re: Fuel Cap Flap

Post by ormesome » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Not sure on the Q2 but the old A3 had multiple faults with the petrol cap motor. I had mine replaced under warranty. As the Q2 shares various parts with the A3 then I wouldn't be surprised if its the same motor that always fails. Various posts on the internet. Just google it. You should get it replaced under warranty. But be quick as loads of people have had it fail with not being able to open it and then subsequently cant fill up with fuel!!
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Adrian1956

Post by Adrian1956 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Had the same issue with my Q2 after 3 and a bit years. First happened when I was trying to refuel and the filler flap wouldn't pop open so I had to remove the flap in the boot and release the cap via the emergency pull mechanism. After that, I could never get it to lock again though.

Took it to my Audi dealer who said it was no longer covered by warranty. They investigated and found the fuel flap actuator was "internally faulty" so they had to replace it at cost of £160 labour and £40 parts, plus VAT!

mr c

Post by mr c » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I had mine replaced all be it under warranty, the emergency release inside the boot didn’t work either.
Audi were shut at the time due to COVID during the first big lockdown so to be fair to them sent an AA guy round who decided I wasn’t capable of operating the emergency release but surprise surprise it didn’t work for him either, he then said the only way was to force it open and asked me to sign a damage disclaimer at this point I told him to go forth and multiply.
Fortunately we had plenty of fuel and wasn’t going anywhere anyway Audi contacted us the minute they opened back up and I think changed an actuator it was definitely something electrical not mechanical and going back to the AA guy if I had been paying for that membership I would have rang up and complained as he clearly couldn’t be arsed