Space Saver Spare Wheel option?

All Audi Q2 related discussions
ExJag

Re: Space Saver Spare Wheel option?

Post by ExJag » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi, having bought a new Q2 a few weeks ago with the standard 17" Sport alloys, I was not able to spec a spare wheel. I wanted quick delivery so ordered a car that was in stock with just the usual tyre repair kit. I did a bit of research and as suggested before, the space saver spare wheel is just a regular Audi A4 or A5 spare. I bought an unused wheel from Ebay for £70 delivered.
My car has the Audi sound 'upgrade' with the sub woofer in the boot. This just sits inside the spacesaver with no modification necessary.
See the attached image.

IMG_0470.JPG

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:33 am

ExJag wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm
I did a bit of research and as suggested before, the space saver spare wheel is just a regular Audi A4 or A5 spare. I bought an unused wheel from Ebay for £70 delivered.
What year was the wheel the car came off as there seem to be plenty around for older cars?

A bit of online research at https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/ shows that whilst the PCD is the same at 5 X 112 the centre bore is a different size with the A4 being 57.1mm and the A5 66.5mm. Offset is not much of an issue with a space saver but the center bore size is.

BTW the A3 uses the same 5X112 and 57.1mm bore as the early A4 and it appears from reviews that the Q2 is built on the A3 platform?
Audi Q2 1.4 TFSI Sport S Tronic in Tango Red

Urv

Post by Urv » Sat May 06, 2017 6:00 pm

When we ordered my wife's Q2 1.6tdi S Line, the first option added was a spare wheel and really pleased we did .... Her first long trip, ran over a piece of wood and of course it had a nail sticking out......flat tyre.....phoned Audi, they came within an hour but only after twice calling her to ensure she had a spare wheel !
Find that the boot space is not compromised at all.

Urv

Post by Urv » Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 pm

image.jpeg

Urv wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 6:00 pm
When we ordered my wife's Q2 1.6tdi S Line, the first option added was a spare wheel and really pleased we did .... Her first long trip, ran over a piece of wood and of course it had a nail sticking out......flat tyre.....phoned Audi, they came within an hour but only after twice calling her to ensure she had a spare wheel !
Find that the boot space is not compromised at all.

Graham

Post by Graham » Sun May 07, 2017 7:14 am

Just to 'close the loop' on this thread that I started, I did finally buy a space-saver spare wheel on eBay for £80. It was "used" in the sense that it had been carried in a car for a few years, but I can see from the tread that the tyre has never been run on a road. With the tool kit sitting in the wheel it fits quite happily under the boot floor (set in the lower position). Result!

The crucial piece of information is that the spare wheel spec for the Q2 is the same as for an A4 (2008-16) or A5 (2008-17). These wheels are quite easy to find. The tyre spec is T125/70 R19 100M. There are pictures here: http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0.
Q2 1.4 TFSi Sport S-Tronic in Coral orange/Manhattan grey
Driver Assistance Pack, Comfort Pack, DIS colour display

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks for clarifying Graham. Just got one from eBay for £57.00 delivered.

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:10 pm

OSL282 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 am
Thanks for clarifying Graham. Just got one from eBay for £57.00 delivered.

Spare arrived today, was brand new and unused and came from.....an Audi Dealer. Go figure.

In a car without the Bose sound system the tool kit fits in fine and the boot floor goes flat in the low position.

Spare.jpg

19" space saver from an A4
A bit of thought went into how to fit the tool kit and I had to take the compressor out of the bag and put that in separately (bottom right in the picture) - 1st Aid kit went into a rear door pocket.

Boot_Floor.jpg

Boot Floor flat with the space saver in place.
If your wondering what those plastic bits are, they are Citroen boot chocks. The bottoms have grippers for the carpet and can be moved anywhere and placed to stop items sliding around. Ref. Code: 9414EE - Order from any Pug or Cit dealer for under £15 a set of 4. Great for stopping those shopping bags spilling all over the boot :lol:

Alanmelon

Post by Alanmelon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am

I've been looking into getting the spare after receiving my Q2 ( with 18" wheels) last week. The dealership quoted best part of £300, so I sourced one online listed as an 18" spare for the Q2. It arrived with an 18" rim but the Audi quote specified a 19" rim. Confused yet? Not only that but the tool insert won't fit properly.
Audi have confirmed that due to profile differences, I WILL need the 19" space saver. Am going to send this one back now.

So, just a word of caution. Can anyone else with the 18" edition confirm that their spare is the 19" version?

Tinaturbo

Post by Tinaturbo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi Alan. I have 18" wheels on my model and after making some enquiries I bought a 19" spacer from eBay. I took it to my local tyre fitter and he put the spacer on my car to see the fit. He said it doesn't line up accurately but when the bolts are fitted it tightens up perfectly. Thankfully so far I have not needed to use it but much cheaper than buying direct from Audi. Hope this info is of help to you. Tina

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 am

Alanmelon wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:59 am
Can anyone else with the 18" edition confirm that their spare is the 19" version?
My understanding is that the 19" space-saver wheel is correct for all versions of the Q2, as all the standard wheel/tyre combinations have an approximately similar rolling circumference.

I have a Q2 Sport with the standard 17" wheels fitted, but I've got a 19" spare and everything fits fine.
Q2 1.4 TFSi Sport S-Tronic in Coral orange/Manhattan grey
Driver Assistance Pack, Comfort Pack, DIS colour display

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”