Headlamp conversion for driving abroad

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Graham

Headlamp conversion for driving abroad

Post by Graham » Wed May 17, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm taking my Q2 to France next month, and I'm wondering what's the best way to ensure my dipped headlights will be legal for driving on the right.

A couple of forum posts elsewhere have mentioned either a manual adjustment on the headlamp clusters or a setting in the MMI, but I can't find either of these in my model - the 1.4 TFSi Sport with standard halogen lights.

I raised the question with a senior technician at my Audi dealer, who said he thought the dipped beam pattern was so flat it wouldn't need conversion for driving on the right, but I'm sceptical about this. Shining the light on my garage door it definitely looks as though the beam is lifted to the left as you'd expect for driving on the left.

I think this just leaves the usual option of single-use masking patches such as Eurolites applied to the front.

Unless somebody knows different ...
Q2 1.4 TFSi Sport S-Tronic in Coral orange/Manhattan grey
Driver Assistance Pack, Comfort Pack, DIS colour display

Dave

Re: Headlamp conversion for driving abroad

Post by Dave » Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Page 52 of owners manual. According to that it's ok with dipped beam left or right hand drive countries

IMG_0043.PNG

1.4 TFSI Tango Red 7 speed S tronic sport
Virtual cockpit LED headlights LED interior lighting, Milano leather, bang & Olufsen, drivers assistance pack advanced, high beam assist, light and rain sensors, adaptive cruise control and space saver wheel

Graham

Post by Graham » Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Dave wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm
Page 52 of owners manual. According to that it's ok with dipped beam left or right hand drive countries
That's very interesting - you've got a different version of the manual! My manual (version 06.2016, part no. 81A012720AA) has no entry headed 'Headlamp dip settings...'.

So I'm back to my observation that it looks as though the dipped beam pattern lifts to the left, so I think I'll need to use masking patches on the front cover of the headlamps.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 pm

That is from the online user manual so I guess the most updated version
1.4 TFSI Tango Red 7 speed S tronic sport
Virtual cockpit LED headlights LED interior lighting, Milano leather, bang & Olufsen, drivers assistance pack advanced, high beam assist, light and rain sensors, adaptive cruise control and space saver wheel

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am

Dave wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 pm
That is from the online user manual so I guess the most updated version

Dave, is your online manual the web-only version viewed through the myAudi site?

When I log in to myAudi and navigate to the Owner’s Manual page the server has searched on my VIN and offers the same version (06.2016) as the printed manual supplied with the car. I have also found a pdf copy of the manual on a 3rd party site, but this is version 11.2016 and page 52 is the same as in your post.

The manual has evidently been updated, but myAudi seems to indicate the earlier version is still the right one for my car. That suggests the Q2 spec has been tweaked at some point in production and the manual update reflects this. I do know my own car was one of the first delivered to the UK - my dealer received it along with his showroom model the week before the official UK launch - so this is quite plausible.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

johnt

Post by johnt » Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi, I wondered if you ever found out the answer re headlight conversion? My Q2 came with the manual which includes the statement that you don't need to adjust the headlights when going abroad, as shown above. However the statement is followed by an asterisk, which usually means "depending on the spec of your individual model". I'm also planning a foreign trip so am keen to find out the definitive answer to this.

John

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 pm

johnt wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:53 pm
However the statement is followed by an asterisk, which usually means "depending on the spec of your individual model".
From personal experience.

Bi Xenon lamps have a 'flat' beam and should not require any changes when travelling in the EU.

Halogens should have beam deflectors fitted.

No idea on LED Factory fit headlamps though.

It's all a bit of a minefield and I personally feel it should be clarified with Audi themselves.
Audi Q2 1.4 TFSI Sport S Tronic in Tango Red

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

OSL282 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 pm

It's all a bit of a minefield and I personally feel it should be clarified with Audi themselves.

OK contacted Audi UK for clarification. Still awaiting a promised e mail response, but Audi UK did phone me back with part of the answer to the question I asked so....

It has been checked with Audi Technical as verbally confirmed by Paul Thompson at Audi Customer Service and for cars with Factory Halogen Headlights and bulbs, there is no conversion required for the lights on a UK spec car when driving in Europe.

When I get the e mail I will post it here so you can copy it and take it with you just in the unlikely event that some eager Gendarme should query the status.

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 am

OSL282 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm
OSL282 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:17 pm

OK contacted Audi UK for clarification. Still awaiting a promised e mail response, but Audi UK did phone me back with part of the answer to the question I asked so....

It has been checked with Audi Technical as verbally confirmed by Paul Thompson at Audi Customer Service and for cars with Factory Halogen Headlights and bulbs, there is no conversion required for the lights on a UK spec car when driving in Europe.

When I get the e mail I will post it here so you can copy it and take it with you just in the unlikely event that some eager Gendarme should query the status.
Many thanks for getting this response from Audi. I look forward to seeing a copy of the 'official' email confirmation.

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Not as good as I hoped for but here is the e mail. (some details removed for security :) )

Audi Reply.jpg

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”