Audi Q2 Forum banner

audi pre sense

29K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
well ive had the car since december and its a joy to drive and love the automatic 1.4 tfsi engine. im finding the auto pre sense abit frustrating comes on sometimes and i cant see the danger . the rear in reverse takes abit getting used too . still find the interior lights a little dull . but now its summer wont be so hard.

#2 ·
I have had the pre sense come on a couple times a bit randomly. I guess it's the price to pay for cutting edge technology.

I think the standard interior lighting is not so good. It should have led lighting as standard

#5 ·
I like the Adaptive cruise control and would always look for that feature in any car I have from now on... it makes motorway driving effortless. As for pre-sense... in the six months/10,000 miles I have had the car it has warned me about half a dozen times and physically braked to a standstill on two occasions... both unnecessary... not changed any settings as see the benefits but can also be dangerous especially if there is a car behind you.

#6 ·
I had a bad experience with the Pre Sense last week when the car came to a complete standstill for no reason. I sent the car back to Audi as I found this to be unacceptable. The response was that there was no fault with the vehicle - the diagnostic test showed there had been an incident, but there was no fault. They went on to say I could disable the feature, but it would have to be my decision! I didn't want the car back if I am honest as I am not sure how safe I feel driving it. I reluctantly took it back and now have to disable the system every time I start the car. But guess what - I now have to drive with a warning on the Interactive Dash telling me Pre-Sense is switched off. So...the Pre-Sense is kicking in for no reason, which is very dangerous...and the only way to do anything about that is to turn off a safety feature Audi have invested heavily in putting into all new models. Who else thinks this is unacceptable from a premium manufacturer?

#7 ·
I have had 'Pre Sense' kick in 3 times and always at the same place with no perceived 'risk' by me, however the car thinks otherwise.

I have worked out that a set of close gapped, metal railings along the side of a speed control chicane are what is triggering it. Basically the sensor seems to think there is someone moving in the path of the car when in fact it's a fixed set of railings making the sensor go on and off very quickly.

I go past the spot regularly and it doesn't happen every time. It;s down to the angle the car is at on the road V the metal railing and the speed I am going at. The worst occurrence had the wheels locking up in an emergency stop manoeuvre.

Now that I am aware of it I approach that particular bit of road furniture with more care.

Safety systems are not infallible and there will always be circumstances the designers have not considered/allowed for I'm afraid.

#8 ·
I've only had it kick in once during the last 3000 miles or so. I was travelling along a quiet village road at 30mph when the brakes went on hard for less than a second. Took me a while to realise what had happened and it didn't bother me too much, apart from wondering what had caused it. Wouldn't like it to happen at a higher speed with someone behind me. Haven't bothered to check/change the settings though.

#10 ·
OSL282 said:
I have had 'Pre Sense' kick in 3 times and always at the same place with no perceived 'risk' by me, however the car thinks otherwise.

I have worked out that a set of close gapped, metal railings along the side of a speed control chicane are what is triggering it. Basically the sensor seems to think there is someone moving in the path of the car when in fact it's a fixed set of railings making the sensor go on and off very quickly.
Here is a picture of the spot I took this morning that triggers the pre sense system

Automotive navigation system Car Vehicle Light Motor vehicle

Attachments

#11 ·
Mine has given a couple of alerts when cars in front have braked and turned suddenly, just a warning ding and on the dash but no braking until yesterday. I was driving in roadworks on a narrow country road, with the offside lane coned off and workers there, one of them moved towards the middle of the road, still the other side of the cones and the car braked to a stop. A bit of a shock but it is reassuring that it worked as it should and I now know what to expect.

#12 ·
I also had the pre-sense trigger on a narrow country road as I took a sharp bend in bright sunshine with shadows on the bend. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Initially I wondered what had happened but then recalled reading about it on here. I'll be mindful the next time I'm travelling that road.

#13 ·
I have had pre sense operate 3 times in the 3 months we have owned the car. 1st approaching line of traffic stationary at traffic lights, lift from accelerator allowing car to slow, cars in front start to move away so no need to break - bang pre sense hits brakes. 2nd driving along B road being approached slowly by tractor cutting hedge, pull out to pass - bang pre sense hits brakes. 3rd driving in town, car in front pulls to centre of road to turn right, I continue to pass on nearside - bang pre sense hits brakes. At no time during any of the incidents was I in danger of hitting anything. Fortunately I was not being closely followed as I believe a collision from behind would have occurred since if I don't know the car is going to stop how can anybody else.
I have been informed by Audi that this cannot be switched off as it is a safety feature.
Audi must be lobbied to provide the option to disable this feature in the ecu.
Without this option I must get rid of my Q2 which in all other respects is admirable.

#14 ·
I bought my Q2 as ex demo.

ACC and pre-sense were flaky. A trip to the Agent found an incident had been logged, but a software update and "reset" produces good ACC.

Still not sure about pre-sense. Tested and found OK, but I don not want to construct an "incident" on the road to test it out. Might look an idiot in Court explaining myself.

A colleague with a Volvo only had an incident approaching a mirror outside a church! Go figure.

G
#15 ·
After having the car for just under three years I had the Audi Pre Sense message come up twice today for the first time.
The alert went away after a few seconds and the car did not brake.
There was nothing to trigger the alert that I am aware of

Ironically this happed on the way to the Audi dealer, car was booked in for an MOT and brake fluid change, then it happened again on the way back home.
I asked the dealer to check the car when it was in and they advised nothing was found.

I called the dealer back after I arrived home, they advised on changing the sensitivity down and keep an eye for more alerts
They also advised to check there was no dirt affecting the Pre Sense camera/sensor but could not advise where it was located on the Q2.
Does anyone know the location of the camera/sensor and have you had any similar advice from the dealer.

Not sure if it can have any relevance on false alerts but today was very grey and windy here in London

I was not aware the car had Pre Sense fitted until today :cool:

#16 ·
I get this sometimes. I find that ice builds up and obstructs it, especially in the morning as it's way below freezing here. Also if it's snowy then it stops working. Wind shouldn't affect it but you might have got a leaf in the way or some debris that was then swept away. Iv not had any problems with the pre-sense system. Thinks it's great. It is a bit sensitive sometimes, like it detects a parked car but I guess I would have been on the trajectory to hit it at that point in time so it makes sense that it gave an alert.

G
#17 ·
I checked with Audi UK today if my car has Pre Sense installed and they advised it should not.

So not sure why the car thinks it does, it is now booked to go back to the Audi dealer in the late Feb to be checked out.

#19 ·
andrewk59 said:
I checked with Audi UK today if my car has Pre Sense installed and they advised it should not.

So not sure why the car thinks it does, it is now booked to go back to the Audi dealer in the late Feb to be checked out.
I thought it was standard?you can check in the MMI anyway, go to vehicle settings and it should be there.

#21 ·
CDM7 said:
Although the pre sense is a great idea I have found that when driving down narrow country lanes ( which we have plenty of in the county of Dorset, UK) and approaching a sharp bend the pre sense will sometimes activate. This can be quite scary.
Activate or "bong"? Iv had the noise/signal a few times but never actually activate without reason.

G
#23 ·
I thought it was standard?you can check in the MMI anyway, go to vehicle settings and it should be there.

It is in the MMI but Audi UK were sure it was an optional extra for my car (was an early Q2) so I am not sure.
I have not been able to find any sensor/camera on the front of the car

The car is booked to go back to Audi 17th Feb, I will let you know the outcome

#24 ·
andrewk59 said:

It is in the MMI but Audi UK were sure it was an optional extra for my car (was an early Q2) so I am not sure.
I have not been able to find any sensor/camera on the front of the car

The car is booked to go back to Audi 17th Feb, I will let you know the outcome
If it's there in the mmi and it has warned you of a collision, then you obviously have it!!! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

#25 ·
After a couple of false positives I took it back to the dealer and he told me that this was expected I just had to touch the brake when Pre Sense shows the warning, that's the way to tell Pre Sense - "I saw it, I'm here - don't worry".

I do that now and it's working great.

So when you see the warning simply touch the brake.

G
#26 ·
Dealer confirmed Audi UK were incorrect in advising my car does not have pre sense installed.
They showed me the location of the sensor which is below the number plate hidden behind the front grill.
They ran diagnostics on the car and found no issues.

They advised to keep an eye and to return the car if I continue to see warnings.

In my case no warnings for two years and then four since January.
Have seen none since changing the pre sense setting to medium

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.