Q2 - steering wheel

All Audi Q2 related discussions
qubak

Q2 - steering wheel

Post by qubak » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi,
I would like to check if you have the same issue with your Audi Q2.

System Start/Stop is enabled even when the car is still moving (as I know from Audi if the speed is below 7 km/h, and the car is slowing down, the system can be turned on at this time. In the same time the steering whell is blocked, and cannot move it - in my opinion it is not very safe...
I have asked Audi about that, and they told me that this is a normal behaviour. I have never seen something like this before. Even in Audi A1, the steering wheel is not blocked for few seconds after the start/stop system is enabled.

What do you think about that, and do you have the same situation with your car?

Thanks in advance.

peterfb

Re: Q2 - steering wheel

Post by peterfb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:32 am

Your description of enabling the Start/Stop system is not fully clear to me. It should be possible to enable/disable it at any speed...I do this often depending on the traffic build-up. When enabled at the button on the dash, this feature stops the engine when the car has fully stopped moving, in order to save fuel (refer to the Owner's Manual). It has nothing to do with the steering so if your steering wheel is locking for up to 3 seconds when the feature is engaged there appears to be something very wrong (does the steering wheel lock when the car stops or when the system is engaged).

You need to explain to Audi very clearly exactly what is happening and if possible demonstrate while driving.

qubak

Post by qubak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 am

By enabling the Start/Stop I mean the situation when the engine stops (you're right - it might not be so clear). In my car the engine stops even when the car is still moving. In the same time, when engine stops, the steering wheel is being locked.
Sometimes the engine is being off when the car has stopped moving. But steering wheel is always lock at the moment, when the system is engaged (I mean the engine stops).

OSL282

Post by OSL282 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 am

@qubak I have encountered the same situation where occasionally pulling up to a junction etc. the stop start engages and yes the steering goes heavy for an instant as apparently the 'electrical assistance' to the power steering is cut.

It doesn't last very long at all, or happen very often, so hasn't been a real problem for me.
Audi Q2 1.4 TFSI Sport S Tronic in Tango Red

Alanmelon

Post by Alanmelon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:15 am

I may be wrong but the conditions for stop/start to engage are neutral gear and foot off clutch. My driving style is such that these conditions are never met when moving. Not sure what the deal is on the automatic...

peterfb

Post by peterfb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi qubak. Soon after sending my reply to your post I took my car out and engaged the stop/start. When the car stopped moving and the engine stopped, the steering wheel was indeed locked! When I attempted to turn the steering wheel, the engine immediately started. Could well be lack of assistance to power steering as mentioned above. By replying to your post I have discovered a feature that I had never noticed before! Nevertheless it seems odd that your engine can stop when the car is still moving.

My car is a 1.4 TFSI S-Tronic.

qubak

Post by qubak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi @peterfb,
I am sure, that you will have the situation that the Start/Stop engage when the car will be still moving. It doesn't happen always, but quite often.

In Audi, they said that it is normal behaviour.

The funny thing is, that in Audi A1 (which I have for a few days now) that situation is solved in very easy way. When the engine stops, the power steering works for few second and then it is blocked.

I have no idea why in Q2 it works differently.

My wife mostly uses this car, and for her, the attempt to turn the steering wheel to start engine is not so easy :)

Maybe I should write to Audi and ask them for explanation...

peterfb

Post by peterfb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi qubak. There is really no need to turn the steering wheel as the engine starts automatically as soon as the foot brake is released and will not stop again unless the car has been moving....mine sometimes restarts without me realising it because I have slightly released pressure on the brake pedal.

It seems an unusual feature but I cannot see that it can cause any problems because as soon as you want to move the car you need to release the brake, and the engine starts. If you find the start/stop annoying you can always deactivate it on the dash.

Ivor bigun

Post by Ivor bigun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 am

All cars with power steering when the engine stops the force needed to turn the steering increases and does indeed feel heavy
If you car was broken and you tried to push it you would find the steering heavy with out the engine running
It’s not really Audi it’s the law of physics
Stall any car and you find the steering heavy same thing

maneesh97

Post by maneesh97 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 am

It is a pain the Audi as it goes dead and not always safe. I had a BMW sedan before this and whilst they had a start stop too, it didnt go dead on you.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”