Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Carmen 12
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Carmen 12 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Took ownership of a new Q2 1.5 35TFSi in May. Initially a little jerky but I put it down to switching from a larger 4WD and getting used to a different vehicle. After about 6 weeks I complained to the dealer about juddering and stuttering which was intermittent and was fobbed off. Last week in cooler and wet conditions I experienced loss of throttle at junctions, severe kangaroo- jumps and loss of power. When reversing uphill the throttle didn’t initially engage and then suddenly did two kangaroo jumps and I damaged the rear bumper as it hit a wall. I don’t feel I am in control of the car and have no faith in it at all.
Took it to Audi dealership yesterday who inspected it and agreed there was definitely a fault (and acknowledged they had other cars brought in with the same problem). The software update was done and I was told another one is due but it could be a month or 12 months. I asked why is this engine still being put in cars if it’s faulty? My car cost me £31k and I expect better for my money. I researched lots before I signed on the dotted line but didn’t read about this problem until after purchase.

I have noticed an improvement after the update (although only driven about 5 miles in warm dry conditions) but I was told by the service department that other cars have improved only temporarily after the update and that I should contact Audi Customer Services to log my concerns.
How long am I supposed to wait to see if the update works? I’ve only got just over 2 months before I reach the 6 month deadline to reject a vehicle I do not feel in control of.

Rang Audi Customer Services today who said no the dealership should deal with it and a goodwill gesture regarding the damage. So I went back to the dealership and was told they can’t do anything without Customer Services approval! My car has 3k miles on it and although it feels better I don’t feel safe - worry that it’s going to die on me pulling out of junctions or onto roundabouts and after the reversing kangaroo hops I don’t trust it if I need to reverse Park but I’m concerned that if I reject I’m going to lose so much money. I intended to keep this car and take it into retirement - hence lots of options on it.

Bottom line though the dealership said “yes definitely the fault there”.

testcard
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by testcard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:02 pm

There’s a software update?
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

Delstron
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Delstron » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am

Carmen
I would not wait as no proven fix exists for this or any of the Skoda / VW variants. Reject the car and move on like others have done on here Search SimonS and Karen.

mr c
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by mr c » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Delstron wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am
Carmen
I would not wait as no proven fix exists for this or any of the Skoda / VW variants. Reject the car and move on like others have done on here Search SimonS and Karen.
He took ownership in May, don’t know weather there’s a timeframe on rejecting a car my guess there would be and May until now might be pushing it, although if he reported it straight away and they have attempted to fix it to no avail it might well be doable but if you don’t ask you don’t get so worth a shout.

SimonS
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by SimonS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:44 pm

mr c wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Delstron wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am
Carmen
I would not wait as no proven fix exists for this or any of the Skoda / VW variants. Reject the car and move on like others have done on here Search SimonS and Karen.
He took ownership in May, don’t know weather there’s a timeframe on rejecting a car my guess there would be and May until now might be pushing it, although if he reported it straight away and they have attempted to fix it to no avail it might well be doable but if you don’t ask you don’t get so worth a shout.
Hi, SimonS here again ...

Up to 6 months rejection is certainly possible, although they have to be allowed one attempt at fixing it, and can deduct a reasonable amount for the use you have had of it.

Glad that I rejected my faulty Q2 within the first 30 days (back in April). I still keep an eye on the various forums out of interest to see whether VAG have fixed the problem yet - seems that the update that my dealer was allegedly expecting within a few days of my rejection is still not available.

Hopefully whoever bought my rejected Q2 some time in May (judging by the vehicle tax check website) is enjoying its special engine features!

Good luck!
Simon.

Carmen 12
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Carmen 12 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Delstron wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 am
Carmen
I would not wait as no proven fix exists for this or any of the Skoda / VW variants. Reject the car and move on like others have done on here Search SimonS and Karen.
[/

Just had my promised call back from the service department principal who has agreed to do the damage repairs but I’m still concerned about the poor drive quality. The ride is so harsh and it doesn’t matter which drive select I choose it’s hard and lumpy. I explained this to the service principal who said it sounded like a suspension issue and they would investigate. I did say I wasn’t sure if it was the suspension or just a constant kangaroo stutters. Feels like I’m driving through potholes.

Yorkie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Yorkie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Carmen, sorry to hear of your problems. See my posts 28 & 29th August. My wife and I think our car was dangerous to drive as we did not know when it was going to fail us. That is why we rejected it. Our dealership were very good and liaised with Audi UK who agreed to help us out so that we did not lose out financially. Speak to your dealership and ask what they think are your best options including rejection. You may be given the option of upgrading but be aware, if you choose any of the newer petrol engines you could end up with the same problem. We chose a nearly new upgraded car a Q3 which came with all the extras we had put on the Q2 as standard. Although we do not have a brand new car we are happy that we made the decision to reject. As previously noted in other forums the A3 1.5L model has had this problem since the back end of 2017 and no fix has been forthcoming. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Delstron
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Delstron » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Carmen
Dealer response is variable, some are very good and rejection goes smoothly, other are not and are masters of the fob-off and delay tactics. Be firm, emphasise the safety issues and if possible insist on a temporary car if they want to do tests on yours. The added expense of this will be raised at weekly meetings and if, say, there is another party who are retaining their car - you will be dealt with first. Keep notes of every contact and confirm back to them in writing what has been said. You will find the dealer will never confirm anything in writing to you however your letter to them repeating what they said, is valuable should thing come to legal shenanigans.

Delstron
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Delstron » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Dealers quickly assess customers, those ‘‘nice’ folk who can be persuaded that the issue is normal or who can be encouraged to wait for a fix will be left forever. A customer who is polite but knows their mind and demonstrates some knowledge of consumer expectations will be handled differently from the start. I don’t know them but SimonS and Karen on here probably fall into this category. Conversely on the Skoda forum there are folk who have been persuaded to trade in 3 month old faulty 1.5 vehicles against a purchase of yet another VW group vehicle.

A read of this forum should assist. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/page/102/

Carmen 12
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Carmen 12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Yorkie wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 pm
Carmen, sorry to hear of your problems. See my posts 28 & 29th August. My wife and I think our car was dangerous to drive as we did not know when it was going to fail us. That is why we rejected it. Our dealership were very good and liaised with Audi UK who agreed to help us out so that we did not lose out financially. Speak to your dealership and ask what they think are your best options including rejection. You may be given the option of upgrading but be aware, if you choose any of the newer petrol engines you could end up with the same problem. We chose a nearly new upgraded car a Q3 which came with all the extras we had put on the Q2 as standard. Although we do not have a brand new car we are happy that we made the decision to reject. As previously noted in other forums the A3 1.5L model has had this problem since the back end of 2017 and no fix has been forthcoming. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I’m going to wait for the moment as the car is back on Monday for them to look at repairing the bodywork damage and I’ve asked that they also look in to the hard ride. I’ve got a couple of months yet so I’m going to let them do the bodywork repair and give them a chance to sort out the drive issues once more. I think I’ve decided if that fails or I still don’t feel safe I’m rejecting the car - even if I lose out financially. I’d rather feel safe when driving - especially when the poorer weather comes. If I do reject though I think I’d go outside the group - rejection would be a last resort and mean a total loss of faith in the brand. How long had you had your Q2 when you rejected it?

Post Reply