Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Delstron

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Delstron » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:09 pm

So I have had test drives in two other cars, one with 1.4 TFSI and one with 1.5 35 petrol, both manuals.

The 1.4 drives identically to my previous 1.4 A1 as you would expect. Pulls from stationary with urge and responsiveness through first and second. If I had bought this engine I would be totally happy.

The 1.5 was the same as my new vehicle, sluggish through the low gears. Perhaps a little less hesitant but not much in it.

This confirms to me that the new 1.5 engine (and or gearbox) has been significantly changed from the 1.4. Now no possibility to accelerate out of trouble below 20 mph.

The total loss of power, dying off etc. I have not seen for 4-5 days since the weather warmed up. On this basis cannot expect to demonstrate a true fault to the dealer. SimonS any change at your end since the warmer weather?

Q2owner

Post by Q2owner » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:43 pm

is there any problems with the 2.0 tfsi petrol engine , must share lots of dna with its smaller brother or is the concern specifically with the 1.5 ?

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Update from an automatic 1.5 tfsi.

I’ve been experimenting with a lot of different settings and situations. The car does not stall but, from a cold start driving for the first 100m or so at low revs the car changes up to 2, then 3rd. In this situation the car starts to kangaroo but, the electronics of the auto gear box work hard to keep it under control. You can feel the engine changing tone as the electronics work the revs and the clutch. This happens least in sport mode and most in comfort mode. The air temp has to be quite cool and the engine fully cold otherwise it just drives normally.

I’m not too sure if I should send this to anyone at Audi or even who, the dealer doesn’t seem that interested. For me, unlike those with manuals, it does not cut out and actually doesn’t really cause me any bother. Now that I know it’s going to happen and will only last 30 seconds the issue comes and goes whilst I’m just pulling off into my road. I’ve spoken to the dealer but they want to keep the car for two or three days and , for me, it’s not really that troublesome.

Other than this mild inconvenience I’m very happy with my Q2
2019 1.5 tfsi 35 sline automatic Ara blue, tech pack, comfort pack, virtual cockpit, dual AC, rear camera, park assist.

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am

Q2Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 pm
I’ve been experimenting with a lot of different settings and situations. The car does not stall but, from a cold start driving for the first 100m or so at low revs the car changes up to 2, then 3rd. In this situation the car starts to kangaroo but, the electronics of the auto gear box work hard to keep it under control. You can feel the engine changing tone as the electronics work the revs and the clutch. This happens least in sport mode and most in comfort mode. The air temp has to be quite cool and the engine fully cold otherwise it just drives normally.

Can you not use the paddles to change back down a gear when it changes up to keep the revs a bit higher
2019 Audi Q2 Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Delstron wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:09 pm
So I have had test drives in two other cars, one with 1.4 TFSI and one with 1.5 35 petrol, both manuals.

The 1.4 drives identically to my previous 1.4 A1 as you would expect. Pulls from stationary with urge and responsiveness through first and second. If I had bought this engine I would be totally happy.

The 1.5 was the same as my new vehicle, sluggish through the low gears. Perhaps a little less hesitant but not much in it.

This confirms to me that the new 1.5 engine (and or gearbox) has been significantly changed from the 1.4. Now no possibility to accelerate out of trouble below 20 mph.

The total loss of power, dying off etc. I have not seen for 4-5 days since the weather warmed up. On this basis cannot expect to demonstrate a true fault to the dealer. SimonS any change at your end since the warmer weather?
Hi Delstron,

Kangarooing is unchanged - this seems to happen regardless of the temperature. The engine hasn't cut out in the last few days but it has felt like it is about to about 3 times - I have managed to catch it just in time by dipping the clutch and giving it a bit more gas.

I took it to the dealer last Tuesday and we had a short drive where the kangarooing was very evident. The service department were going to contact Audi technical for advice but have heard nothing since - will chase them up tomorrow (Monday).

Best regards,
Simon.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am

2degrees first thing and did a quick loop to test the performance as it’s been warm for the last 10 days. Very poor in low gears until it was warmed up. So for me, I have poor acceleration in low gears hot or cold requiring skillfull clutch control, ok once above 20-25. And dire pulling away when cold until warm.

SimonS, what’s your news?

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Delstron wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am
2degrees first thing and did a quick loop to test the performance as it’s been warm for the last 10 days. Very poor in low gears until it was warmed up. So for me, I have poor acceleration in low gears hot or cold requiring skillfull clutch control, ok once above 20-25. And dire pulling away when cold until warm.

SimonS, what’s your news?
Hi again,

I only noticed poor acceleration in low gears a couple of times (and of course the four times when it cut out completely). The most consistent fault on mine was the "kangarooing", which happened almost every time when pulling away in first gear. I used an Android app "accdatarec" to log acceleration in the Q2 during several journeys. The phone storage cupboard is ideal for placing the phone while capturing acceleration data. You can copy the saved log file (tsv format) into Excel and generate a graph. This clearly shows that on almost every start from stationary in 1st gear, the acceleration increases as you's expect. and then oscillates between zero and the correct value. This is why the kangarooing feature causes you to be thrown backwards and forwards. Changing up into 2nd, 3rd, etc does not exhibit the oscillation/kangarooing.

I compared a log of acceleration in the Q2 with one of my other cars and the other car does not have the oscillation/kangarooing so the Q2 was definitely faulty (plus the cutting out problem).

Anyway ... long story short ... returned the vehicle to my dealer (less than 30 days) and the rejection is going through. They did mention that Audi UK are aware of the problem and a software fix is allegedly on its way within the next 2-3 weeks, so MAYBE things can be improved, but I have lost confidence in the brand so unfortunately I won't be waiting for the update.

Good luck!
SImon.

testcard

Post by testcard » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:02 am

A software fix suggests an adjustment to the engine map, a fairly straightforward procedure. However, if this is the case, it will be interesting to see if Audi treat this as a safety issue, with a recall, or if they simply update the engine map at the next service.
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

Q2owner

Post by Q2owner » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 pm

owned another make of car , from new it would not run on light throttle in any gear cleanly without , kangarooing, had to accelerate out of it , which forced me to change gear , and create the same situation in the next gear,
car was returned to be checked , dealer was aware of situation , but could not do anything , as the company had to have a certain amount of similar cases before engineering a fix , this to my knowledge was never completed
i was told , off the record the situation was as a result of emission targets , car was running lean ,
after approx 10 mths , situation above , disappeared , again i was told off the record this could possibly occur, due to air flow change when air filter became “blocked”
have we the same lean situation with the 1.5 ?

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Code: Select all

Anyway ... long story short ... returned the vehicle to my dealer (less than 30 days) and the rejection is going through. They did mention that Audi UK are aware of the problem and a software fix is allegedly on its way within the next 2-3 weeks, so MAYBE things can be improved, but I have lost confidence in the brand so unfortunately I won't be waiting for the update.
Thanks for the update SimonS. Glad the rejection is going smoothly.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”