Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

All Audi Q2 related discussions
mpfisher69

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by mpfisher69 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 am

Hi All, I have collected my Q2 35 TFSI S-Tronic on 19th of May. The car has done 300 miles since then. I have noticed "kangaroo" problem when I try to drive off with the cold engine. What worries me the most is the fact that when the engine is warming up it is seriously underpowered. The car is very sluggish to pull out the parking space. It's my first petrol car and I was assured that it will be much more dynamic than diesel cars I had before. In the meantime it's all but dynamic. Quite disappointing as I really like this car.
Audi Q2 35 TFSI S-Tronic Black Edition mythos black 19-inch 5-arm rotor alloys B&O sound system front parking sensors.

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 pm

I've had my Q2 35 TFSI S tronic about 4 weeks, when it's cold and the temperature is below 10 deg. it seems to surge a bit, I would not say it's anything like as bad as kangarooing though and it only lasts for about 1/4 of a mile. Other than the slight surging it seems to go as expected when it's cold and I've never noticed it being sluggish pulling out of parking spaces but to be honest I am very gentle with the engine until it's properly heated up.
It might be worth taking it back to the dealer to see what they think , they might be able to tell you if the car has the updated ECU software installed or give you advise regarding getting it installed.
2019 Audi Q2 S Line Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

mpfisher69

Post by mpfisher69 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks for the reply. The "kangaroo" problem is not severe. I can feel the car jumping back and forth very slightly on 2nd and 3rd gear. Once the engine is warm everything seems fine. I will try better petrol first and if "problem" persists, then I will take the car back to the dealer.
Audi Q2 35 TFSI S-Tronic Black Edition mythos black 19-inch 5-arm rotor alloys B&O sound system front parking sensors.

mr c

Post by mr c » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 am

mpfisher69 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 am
Thanks for the reply. The "kangaroo" problem is not severe. I can feel the car jumping back and forth very slightly on 2nd and 3rd gear. Once the engine is warm everything seems fine. I will try better petrol first and if "problem" persists, then I will take the car back to the dealer.
why spend money on premium petrol when the car should run on standard unleaded, your clearly not one of those persons who always runs premium fuel in their cars rightly or wrongly I personally don’t but we won’t get into that debate as on most forums.
I would take it straight back they will defiantly know about the issues some folk are having and see what they are prepared to do about it.

Karen0204

Post by Karen0204 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi . I rejected the car officially last week and am just waiting for my money. My dealer Audi Lake District has been absolutely superb in all of this and I have nothing but praise for them. I was willing to give a 35 stronic a go as the one they gave me to try was so much better than the manual. Unfortunately with production delays the new car wouldnt have been available till December. Shame because I really liked the car apart from the kangarooing/stalling issue.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Glad you’re sorted out Karen, thanks for the update.

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 am

I’ve just had a fascinating discussion with a salesman from Audi who I bumped into on one of his days off. In other words this is not an official view.

He said that they are aware of the problem and it’s due to fuel pressure. There has been no official solution from VW but their mechanics in their garage have been experimenting. The very off the record recommendations is that the situation can be improved by keeping the fuel tank more than half full.

No, I didn’t believe it either. However he went on to say that they believe that the pressure on the side of the fuel pump nearest the tank is too low for the pump to get the correct quantities of fuel. Hence it judders. VW are struggling to fix the issue as it is all about gravity, pressure and the size of fuel pipelines.

Personally I’m sceptical but I’m going to do some miles soon and I’ll have a test.

I have the stronic and it still judders when cold.
2019 1.5 tfsi 35 sline automatic Ara blue, tech pack, comfort pack, virtual cockpit, dual AC, rear camera, park assist.

testcard

Post by testcard » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Sounds weird! Makes you wonder why Skoda have released a software update to fix the issue. Perhaps someone should tell them!
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Q2Blue wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 am
I’ve just had a fascinating discussion with a salesman from Audi who I bumped into on one of his days off. In other words this is not an official view.

He said that they are aware of the problem and it’s due to fuel pressure. There has been no official solution from VW but their mechanics in their garage have been experimenting. The very off the record recommendations is that the situation can be improved by keeping the fuel tank more than half full.

No, I didn’t believe it either. However he went on to say that they believe that the pressure on the side of the fuel pump nearest the tank is too low for the pump to get the correct quantities of fuel. Hence it judders. VW are struggling to fix the issue as it is all about gravity, pressure and the size of fuel pipelines.

Personally I’m sceptical but I’m going to do some miles soon and I’ll have a test.

I have the stronic and it still judders when cold.
I find that hard to believe as the problem seems to be at low engine speeds, if the fuel pump can't supply enough fuel pressure for low engine speeds, even when cold, I don't see how it could deliver enough fuel pressure to drive along a motorway at 70MPH or more.
2019 Audi Q2 S Line Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:27 pm

Well, I agree it makes no sense but, I drove around with one or two cold starts yesterday and the usual jerky first few seconds were there. I filled up the tank this morning. This afternoon I have been out again and, could be a fluke, but the car was fine. I’ll try again tomorrow when the car is really cold and we’ll see.

I’ve no idea how this could possibly be a reason but I know that my car didn’t kangaroo just now!!
2019 1.5 tfsi 35 sline automatic Ara blue, tech pack, comfort pack, virtual cockpit, dual AC, rear camera, park assist.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”