Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Delstron

Re: Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

Post by Delstron » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Issues most prominent at low temps. I think a lot of new owners are in for a shock once September comes with chilly morning starts. I had mine in March and only saw problems for the first three weeks and again in May with an abnormally chilly morning. Since then if I over Rev I can mask the issue.

Karen0204

Post by Karen0204 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi . I may have rejected my car but I am keeping an eye on this forum as I am curious about the eventual fix
When doing my research I came across the fact that the 35tfsi engine isn't the bog std Otto combustion engine but it is Millar type engine (intake valve stays open when it hits the bottom) and also has an intercooler
I am no mechanic I just know the car wasn't good in the cold !!!!!!!and it did feel like the gas just wasn't getting through

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Still to early to say as it’s been warm. My car’s been fine on a full tank though!!!
2019 1.5 tfsi 35 sline automatic Ara blue, tech pack, comfort pack, virtual cockpit, dual AC, rear camera, park assist.

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Karen0204 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm
Hi . I may have rejected my car but I am keeping an eye on this forum as I am curious about the eventual fix
When doing my research I came across the fact that the 35tfsi engine isn't the bog std Otto combustion engine but it is Millar type engine (intake valve stays open when it hits the bottom) and also has an intercooler
I am no mechanic I just know the car wasn't good in the cold !!!!!!!and it did feel like the gas just wasn't getting through

That’s interesting, hard to say if changing to a Miller Cycle engine has caused the problem but it has to be a suspect. The 1.5 engine is also fitted with a turbo which has variable turbine geometry which are common on diesel engines but uncommon on petrol engines, VW/Audi should have access to a lot of experience about them as Porsche were the first and possibly only manufacturer to use them in the 911 Turbo. Obviously doing more than one major technology update to an engine is always going to cause potential problems, not an excuse, that's what testing should iron out.

There is a 128 BHP version of the engine, does anyone know if they have the same problems.

Personally I would be very surprised if the problems have anything to do with the intercooler as they are very commonly used and well understood nowadays.

It would be interesting if any remapping company has tried to update the map yet and if so whether they could improve/sort the problems.
Last edited by andy.h on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Audi Q2 S Line Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Well I was wrong. Full tank, left the car for a week. Last night in an air temp of 30 degrees and the car had been in the sun all day I started the vehicle for the first time in a week and immediately drove off. The car kangarood like mad for 15 seconds, the worst it has ever been. Fine after that. It definitely feels like it’s not getting enough fuel , but having a full tank makes no difference
2019 1.5 tfsi 35 sline automatic Ara blue, tech pack, comfort pack, virtual cockpit, dual AC, rear camera, park assist.

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Well I was wrong. Full tank, left the car for a week. Last night in an air temp of 30 degrees and the car had been in the sun all day I started the vehicle for the first time in a week and immediately drove off. The car kangarood like mad for 15 seconds, the worst it has ever been. Fine after that. It definitely feels like it’s not getting enough fuel , but having a full tank makes no difference

Q2Blue

Post by Q2Blue » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Rob_Wakey

Post by Rob_Wakey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:21 am

Hi

I ran an A3 saloon 1.4 tfsi s-line for four years as a company car until early this year.

Never had any problems with the car over 132k miles over which (according to the DIS) achieved 45 mpg overall, which I take as real world driving as it included motorways and town driving in my job as a civil engineer visiting sites across the UK.

I then took possession of a Q3 35 (1.5 tfsi) as a replacement as I wanted something a big higher, (elderly legs getting stiff etc).

I only had this about seven weeks before changing jobs but found the Q3’s engine nothing like as good as the A3’s. First start of the the day found me kangerooing off the drive and up the road, more often than not stalling at the junction with the main road unless I revved it up a bit.

The stop/start caught me out so many times dying at junctions, just when you wanted a smart getaway. On motorways the engine didn’t seem as perky or lively as the A3 had. Also over about the 7k miles I did, it only averaged 38mpg according to the DIS.

After changing jobs rather than take a car as I retire in a couple of years, I decided to buy one and after looking around bought an ex-demo Q2 1.4 tfsi S-Line from the local Audi dealer.

Well what a revelation, it is just like driving the A3 but sitting higher up. Perky responsive engine, comfortable, slightly elevated diving position, lots of space for the two of us.

We have just got back from a drive abroad, ferry to Spain then drive back through France to Zeebrugge. Mixture of rural roads and a few motorways (last day rush for ferry so 300 miles at Mway limit) keeping to speed limits and over a total of 1500 miles achieved 45mpg.

Oh and all three cars were/are manual by the way

I have to say that didn’t think the new engine would be so different but I am so glad that I changed back, the 1.4 in my opinion, is a far better engine than the new 1.5. Smoother, perkier, no hesitation and more economical.

richii

Post by richii » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Does anyone know whether the same 'kangaroo' characteristics appear on the 40 TFSI (2.0) Quattro 190 engines, or is it only the 35 1.5 litre engines that have this problem?
Audi Q2 2.0 TFSI Quattro S Line 190bhp, S-Tronic, Tech Pack, Comfort & Sound Pack, Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, Park Assist

Loll69

Post by Loll69 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm

If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have noticed. Mine kangaroos only sometimes and only for about 15 seconds then it's fine and only if you start the car and drive off immediately, if you start it and faff around putting seatbelt on, mess with radio etc first then it's fine.
Was kamgerooing on a full tank hot day
Sline 35 stronic tech pack, comfort pack and too many other extras :)