Winter Wheel size versus summer wheels

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Johnw55

Winter Wheel size versus summer wheels

Post by Johnw55 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 pm

I purchased a Q2 Edition 1 in June equipped with 20” wheels and fitted with Bridgestone 235/40R19 tyres. I am aware that other Q2 models have smaller diameter wheels. I have a set of winter wheels for my previous car (Audi A3) these are 16” dia wheels fitted with Avon WV7 205/55R16 Snow tyres. The outside diameter of The Bridgestone tyre on the Q@ is approx 3 cm larger than the Avons, is it safe to change over the wheels on my Q2 over the winter period for these smaller winter wheels?

ormesome

Re: Winter Wheel size versus summer wheels

Post by ormesome » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:58 pm

you should be fine. My winter tires are also higher in width. not sure exactly but I think its common for winter tires.Most summer tires are low profile especially if you have pirellis etc... I have kept my 19 inch alloys on and just changed the tires. 16 inch does seem quite small though for the Q2. maybe take one wheel in to Audi to double check?

Squillaudi

Post by Squillaudi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm

First of all, you just said something wrong. The Q2 Edition 1 is not equipped with 20" wheels. They're 19", corresponding to the tyres you said you have (Bridgestone 235/40R19).

Second of all, I bought 16" wheels for the winter season (coupled with Continental ContiWinterContact TS 810) and they are top. The only downside is that the wheel is very small and you get much more tyre gum, which makes the car pretty ugly in my opinion. If I knew I would have bough at least 17".

The reason I got smaller wheels is because the more smaller they are, the better is the grip in the rain and snow because the tyre will also be thinner. It's a better choice than running big 19" wheels with large tyres.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Squillaudi wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm
The reason I got smaller wheels is because the more smaller they are, the better is the grip in the rain and snow because the tyre will also be thinner. It's a better choice than running big 19" wheels with large tyres.
Your right that they will grip more the smaller/thinner they are in the snow, but not so in the rain. In reality, smaller alloys & tires are not needed for winter. I live in the swiss alps. I run my 19 inch alloys all year with summer and winter tires. It's been fine. I would prefer my Q2 looking better for 6 months of the year than go down a wheel size. The Q2 looks awfull without 19 inch alloys.

Squillaudi

Post by Squillaudi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 pm

ormesome wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Squillaudi wrote:
Your right that they will grip more the smaller/thinner they are in the snow, but not so in the rain. In reality, smaller alloys & tires are not needed for winter. I live in the swiss alps. I run my 19 inch alloys all year with summer and winter tires. It's been fine. I would prefer my Q2 looking better for 6 months of the year than go down a wheel size. The Q2 looks awfull without 19 inch alloys.
Well I agree with you (also living in Switzerland, not the Alps but Nord Vaudois), but smaller wheels are always a better choice even if you will do ok with 19". Specially if the car is not a Quattro (my case). Also, the price of the tyre renewal. Haha

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 am

Squillaudi wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 pm
ormesome wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm
Squillaudi wrote:
Well I agree with you (also living in Switzerland, not the Alps but Nord Vaudois), but smaller wheels are always a better choice even if you will do ok with 19". Specially if the car is not a Quattro (my case). Also, the price of the tyre renewal. Haha

Ah great. Im actually in St Gallen region. Really snowing at the moment so the Quattro system is really useful. Hows the snow there? I love the Swiss set up of the tires and how well structured it is. 2 times a year i just go to Audi and they change and store the tires for free, The UK should take advice from this set up.

Squillaudi

Post by Squillaudi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm

ormesome wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 am
Ah great. Im actually in St Gallen region. Really snowing at the moment so the Quattro system is really useful. Hows the snow there? I love the Swiss set up of the tires and how well structured it is. 2 times a year i just go to Audi and they change and store the tires for free, The UK should take advice from this set up.
For free? Is this common to all AMAG dealerships?!
My car was bought at a local VW/Skoda dealership who has Service for Audi, it's not an AMAG... I doubt I can get tyre storage for free.
I actually change the tyres twice a year myself and store them at my sister's garage.

About the snow... pretty shy. It snowed once in late November and this week again, but not enough to last. The next day it was gone. Sad!

pauluk

Post by pauluk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm

I have 17" winter tyres on with the 18" summers sat in the garage. No issue with the different sizes but I presume the dealer recalibrates the speedo/odometer when they change them.

I'm in Northern Italy, here they do the wheel swap/storage but it's 40 Euros per season.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”