How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

All Audi Q2 related discussions
andy.h

How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

Post by andy.h » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

I am currently waiting for delivery of my new Q2 fitted with a 1.5 TFSI engine and I am wondering how likely it is that I will have the engine problem.

I was wondering if everybody that has the 1.5 TFSI engine is experiences the kangarooing or are there a lot of people that are having no problems.

Is the problem only when the engine is cold or can it be all the time?

Thanks
2019 Audi Q2 Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

SimonS

Re: How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

Post by SimonS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:00 pm

andy.h wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm
I am currently waiting for delivery of my new Q2 fitted with a 1.5 TFSI engine and I am wondering how likely it is that I will have the engine problem.

I was wondering if everybody that has the 1.5 TFSI engine is experiences the kangarooing or are there a lot of people that are having no problems.

Is the problem only when the engine is cold or can it be all the time?

Thanks
Hi Andy,

Mine can do the kangarooing at any temperature although it does seem to be a bit worse when initially setting off on cold mornings. This I could live with, but the most serious problem as far as I am concerned is the cutting out when pulling away in 1st gear, which has happened 4 times so far, twice when my wife was driving and twice for me. About another 4-5 times i think have caught it just in time by dipping the clutch and giving it a bit more gas when it felt like it was about to die. The cutting out has happened when the engine has been fully warmed up. It MIGHT have been worse when the outside temperature was low but not too sure about that. Fortunately the four times that it has cut out have not been in particularly dangerous situations, but it's bad enough for my wife to not want to drive the car until it's fixed, assuming a fix is in the pipeline.

We have only had it for just over a week, so plenty of time to decide what to do.

Good luck!
Simon.

Update - just noticed that yours is going to be an automatic so maybe you will not be affected so much.

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply, I don't know if the auto gearbox helps much as there still seem to be people complaining that have automatic cars..
2019 Audi Q2 Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

Loll69

Post by Loll69 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm baffled. If Audi know there is an issue with this engine, why are they still installing it and shipping cars knowing full well the customer will complain and possibly reject the car. I will be more than p.... Off if when I eventually get my Q2 in now hopefully 17 weeks and its faulty / dangerous. Annoyingly after months of research and toil, the 2 cars that I had to decide between were Troc and the Q2, both got the same 1.5 engine.

I wonder if anyone from Audi read these to comment?

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Loll69 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm
I'm baffled. If Audi know there is an issue with this engine, why are they still installing it and shipping cars knowing full well the customer will complain and possibly reject the car. I will be more than p.... Off if when I eventually get my Q2 in now hopefully 17 weeks and its faulty / dangerous. Annoyingly after months of research and toil, the 2 cars that I had to decide between were Troc and the Q2, both got the same 1.5 engine.

I wonder if anyone from Audi read these to comment?

Yes i have to totally agree with you. That is why I was wondering if every car with the 1.5 engine suffers from this problem or are there a lot of people driving about with no engine problems.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 am

I picked up a manual 1.5 new last Friday and it shows similar issues to SimonS. It is obvious when cold and yesterday’s heatwave it was fine. When I say fine, the car is poor in first and second and does not respond to throttle until over 25mph.
Going for a test drive in another 1.5 and 1.4 later to assess what’s going on. I have written to the dealer registering the issues from day one.

Made a point about asking pre-sale about the 1.5 engine and all dealers were very positive. My daughter is an estate agent and they have to divulge absolutely any negatives to prospective buyers (yes really!)

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Delstron wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 am
I picked up a manual 1.5 new last Friday and it shows similar issues to SimonS. It is obvious when cold and yesterday’s heatwave it was fine. When I say fine, the car is poor in first and second and does not respond to throttle until over 25mph.
Going for a test drive in another 1.5 and 1.4 later to assess what’s going on. I have written to the dealer registering the issues from day one.

Made a point about asking pre-sale about the 1.5 engine and all dealers were very positive. My daughter is an estate agent and they have to divulge absolutely any negatives to prospective buyers (yes really!)

I'm sorry to hear that, it is unbelievable that Audi are selling cars with a known problem, I've got one on order and it's a bit worrying waiting to see what I get.

tomp

Post by tomp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm

My Q2 35 TFSI S-Line ( delivered May 2019) has the same kangarooing problem. Just back from the dealer where the service dept has acknowledged the problem as they experienced it first-hand. It was referred to Audi who are apparently "working on a solution". The dealer will be back in touch when they have a further service bulletin but I will be chasing them too! (Other than this, the Q2 is great, powerful, comfortable and well-specified).

testcard

Post by testcard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am

tomp wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm
My Q2 35 TFSI S-Line ( delivered May 2019) has the same kangarooing problem. Just back from the dealer where the service dept has acknowledged the problem as they experienced it first-hand. It was referred to Audi who are apparently "working on a solution". The dealer will be back in touch when they have a further service bulletin but I will be chasing them too! (Other than this, the Q2 is great, powerful, comfortable and well-specified).
My Q2 35 TFSI S-Line delivered in March suffers from the same issue, although I haven't approached my dealer yet.
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

Jo67

Post by Jo67 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:40 am

I have an automatic and I hadn't noticed it until I read about it on this forum. Now, I'm aware of the issue, I notice mine surges slightly when cold, but I used to drive old bangers 30 years ago and they were always like that on choke so it doesn't bother me that much.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”