How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Delstron

Re: How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

Post by Delstron » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:27 pm

[quote=Bugsy000 post_id=5154 time=1570265955 user_id=1127
Almost 300 miles on from my earlier post after the software update I am very pleased.
[/quote]

Do you think that there could be some truth in the Audi claim that the car ecu “learns” the driving style over time?

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 am

All I do know is that the update eliminated the problems with response. There are lots of theories and claims relating to the ECU and driving style. Have a browse through yourself and see what you think. As for the technical ins and outs I am sadly not qualified to comment. What I do know is what ever they did worked.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Well over a week with the updated software and the car remains much improved or cured of the cold hesitation and the poor response in second at low speed. Consumption is unchanged. It’s fine now but not a patch on the previous 1.4 however.
The Skoda forum is reporting several users there who have seen the symptoms return a few weeks after their fix so I am not celebrating just yet.

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Almost a month now since the Software update and over 900 miles. We have had some very cold mornings and I am very pleased to report that I have not experienced any of the previous problems. The car is now as sweet as a nut, particularly pulling in second. The mpg has not altered in the slightest.

IQ2

Post by IQ2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi everyone, picked my car up last month, brand new, manual, it has all the issues described here and is going in on Thursday to be evaluated.
I mentioned the threads on here and the other vag groups but was told that they aren’t aware of any issues. I really like the car but unless it’s sorted quickly then I don’t want it back.

testcard

Post by testcard » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 pm

The service manager at my dealership wasn't aware either until I described the issue with my Q2. He had to do some digging before he was able to find a reference to the software update, presumably somewhere within the Audi system. The VAG group seem to be downplaying the issue as much as they can - to admit that a software fault exists would leave them liable to all sorts of claims by owners, hence references to "slight juddering" and other rather anodyne phrases. I suspect most owners will simply be told that a "software update" was undertaken as part of their routine service schedule.
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:12 pm

testcard wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 pm
The service manager at my dealership wasn't aware either.
Be assured, ALL service, sales and technicians will be well aware of the issues surrounding the 1.5 - even without being specifically briefed on what to say, they are all programmed to give this sort of response to any sort of issue described to them.

The technicians (if you can get access) are the least savvy and prone to reveal a bit too much if pushed.

Now that there appears to be a fix, dealers should be pleased to confirm diagnosis and apply the update as they will be fully recompensed by Audi UK.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi. IQ2, any update on your issues, did you get any satisfaction from the dealer in the end?

aidam11

Post by aidam11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:06 pm

It's funny, i was on a test drive in Q3 1.5 TFSI (2019 build). I totally forgot about the kangaroo issue with these 1.5 engines as i took it for a drive to test the suspension and ride comfort as I'm looking to buy a Q3 with TDI. Anyway this engine was kangarooing as hell and I immediately recalled the issue that is with these engines. This was a DSG (S-Tronic) model and in second and third gear it gave me a good pow-wow-wow-wow ride, no matter if the engine was cold or warmed up, it always did it. However to me, even though I noticed it every time it happened it wasn't particularly annoying or uncomfy - as soon as I gave it a little bit more throttle and accelerated it went away. Overall, even though i am interested in TDI myself I have to say the 1.5 petrol is very lively and powerful!

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”