Audi Q2 Forum banner

How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

72K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  martindelittle 
#1 ·
I am currently waiting for delivery of my new Q2 fitted with a 1.5 TFSI engine and I am wondering how likely it is that I will have the engine problem.

I was wondering if everybody that has the 1.5 TFSI engine is experiences the kangarooing or are there a lot of people that are having no problems.

Is the problem only when the engine is cold or can it be all the time?

Thanks

#27 ·
I can confirm that the software patch has either totally or 90% cured the hesitant take off from cold. Also the car will now pull away in 2nd when rolling slowly without having to engage 1st or dip the clutch and over rev.

On Tuesday I had my Q2 1.5 manual into Derby Audi for assessment. Took delivery in March and it has always had jerky takeoff and poor 2nd gear pulling away when rolling ( always had to engage 1st to move off). It was not as severe as others on here have reported so I adapted driving style to compensate.
Both the service person and the technician would not be drawn on the issues with this engine and a check of available actions showed nothing available. Technician said he had not heard of any patches for the engine control software.
Had a call to say that they had confirmed the issue and had applied the patch and test driven (5 miles done).
I will report back in a while after more use, the issues are gone but this engine is no where near as lively as the 1.4 and seems after the patch to need loads of revs and gear use which might impact economy.
Will not be buying VAG again

#29 ·
Apart from a test drive for 30 mins prior to buying my Q2 I had never driven an Audi. I was impressed with everything about the car particularly the performance. The test drive was in a 1.4. Almost 300 miles on from my earlier post after the software update I am very pleased. The car is sharper and more responsive, equal to what I experienced in the 1.4. I have also noticed when reversing out of my drive which is quite steep far less accelerator to climb up on to the road and I have not noticed any difference in mpg following the update so all things considered very pleased.

#30 ·
Bugsy000 said:
Apart from a test drive for 30 mins prior to buying my Q2 I had never driven an Audi. I was impressed with everything about the car particularly the performance. The test drive was in a 1.4. Almost 300 miles on from my earlier post after the software update I am very pleased. The car is sharper and more responsive, equal to what I experienced in the 1.4. I have also noticed when reversing out of my drive which is quite steep far less accelerator to climb up on to the road and I have not noticed any difference in mpg following the update so all things considered very pleased.
That's great to hear! It seems that Audi (and the others in VAG) have finally got it right.

#32 ·
All I do know is that the update eliminated the problems with response. There are lots of theories and claims relating to the ECU and driving style. Have a browse through yourself and see what you think. As for the technical ins and outs I am sadly not qualified to comment. What I do know is what ever they did worked.

#33 ·
Well over a week with the updated software and the car remains much improved or cured of the cold hesitation and the poor response in second at low speed. Consumption is unchanged. It's fine now but not a patch on the previous 1.4 however.
The Skoda forum is reporting several users there who have seen the symptoms return a few weeks after their fix so I am not celebrating just yet.

#34 ·
Almost a month now since the Software update and over 900 miles. We have had some very cold mornings and I am very pleased to report that I have not experienced any of the previous problems. The car is now as sweet as a nut, particularly pulling in second. The mpg has not altered in the slightest.

#35 ·
Hi everyone, picked my car up last month, brand new, manual, it has all the issues described here and is going in on Thursday to be evaluated.
I mentioned the threads on here and the other vag groups but was told that they aren't aware of any issues. I really like the car but unless it's sorted quickly then I don't want it back.

#36 ·
The service manager at my dealership wasn't aware either until I described the issue with my Q2. He had to do some digging before he was able to find a reference to the software update, presumably somewhere within the Audi system. The VAG group seem to be downplaying the issue as much as they can - to admit that a software fault exists would leave them liable to all sorts of claims by owners, hence references to "slight juddering" and other rather anodyne phrases. I suspect most owners will simply be told that a "software update" was undertaken as part of their routine service schedule.

#37 ·
testcard said:
The service manager at my dealership wasn't aware either.
Be assured, ALL service, sales and technicians will be well aware of the issues surrounding the 1.5 - even without being specifically briefed on what to say, they are all programmed to give this sort of response to any sort of issue described to them.

The technicians (if you can get access) are the least savvy and prone to reveal a bit too much if pushed.

Now that there appears to be a fix, dealers should be pleased to confirm diagnosis and apply the update as they will be fully recompensed by Audi UK.

#39 ·
It's funny, i was on a test drive in Q3 1.5 TFSI (2019 build). I totally forgot about the kangaroo issue with these 1.5 engines as i took it for a drive to test the suspension and ride comfort as I'm looking to buy a Q3 with TDI. Anyway this engine was kangarooing as hell and I immediately recalled the issue that is with these engines. This was a DSG (S-Tronic) model and in second and third gear it gave me a good pow-wow-wow-wow ride, no matter if the engine was cold or warmed up, it always did it. However to me, even though I noticed it every time it happened it wasn't particularly annoying or uncomfy - as soon as I gave it a little bit more throttle and accelerated it went away. Overall, even though i am interested in TDI myself I have to say the 1.5 petrol is very lively and powerful!

#40 ·
Guess I must be lucky, the temp. last night was -2 degrees and my car had no kangarooing issues, it was performing just the same as it does in the summer.

#42 ·
Urv said:
my wife has had her new 35tfsi 6 speed manual for several weeks travelling nearly 1,000 miles with varying short and longer journeys and absolutely NO issues, problems or "kangaroo jumping" !
Her previous Q2 was the diesel version and it was never away from the Dealer !!
Probably one of the first vehicles to have the upgrade applied in the factory or at delivery. Ask the dealer if it has been done.

#43 ·
Hi new to this forum I own Q2 1.5 tfsi bought new 02/03/2019 we have had the kangarooing problem low power 2nd gear stalling since we collected the car. I took it back for Audi dealer to check out the fault which I thought was a stop start problem (ie constant stalling ) and also explained the kangarooing at low revs they kept the car for 2 days driving it constantly saying nothing found car was ok. Not knowing this was a well documented problem we decided to put up with it but have always felt wary of driving the car and also a reluctance to drive it not feeling 100% confident. After reading all the problems posted ( my wife and I are both retired in our early seventies hoping this would be our last car ) my course of action would now be return to the dealership and ask for the upgrade if they deny any upgrade is available can I return it for a refund ( cash purchase) or is there a time limit for returns current milage 5431 sorry to rabbit on any advice would be most welcome.

#44 ·
The software upgrade is well documented, at least on this forum. I would call several Audi dealers and ask their service departments about the upgrade - they should all be aware of this now. If your dealer is still in the dark, go somewhere else.
Edit: you could contact Audi UK direct, ask them to confirm that the software fix exists, and get them to confirm this with the dealer if necessary.
https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/contact-us.html

#45 ·
Hope by now you have had this sorted out. My car is a March 19 and had issues from new and was reprogrammed in October. Since then the car has been very good. Please don't suffer any longer when a cure exists, be firm and threaten to reject if necessary. Please let us know how it goes.

#47 ·
That's worrying
1 had a 2017 Q2 Sport with the 1.4 engine and it was superb.
In 2019 I could not risk changing it for a 1.5 because of all the bad publicity, so opted for a VW T Cross R Line with a 1.0 engine.
It is surprisingly nippy, but not a patch on the Q2.
Next year I am considering going back to an Audi or perhaps the new VW Taigo.
Either way it would involve the same 1.5 engine which I had assumed has now been sorted.
Am I right to be concerned, or should I just go for it?
Any guidance would be most appreciated.

#48 ·
Since purchase of my brand new Q2 1.5 tfsi Black Edition April 2021 I have encountered problems.
Concerns were raised with Audi on the satisfaction questionnaire sent via e-mail 2 weeks after purchase.
I initially thought the car needed to be run-in for a few hundred miles as it was driving sluggish and not smooth especially in second gear.
Going from the 1.4 (A3) to this 1.5 was like chalk and cheese, I soon realised this was not a running-in issue when the car started to kangaroo in all gears at around 2000 revs.
The kangarooing happened when the engine was hot or cold.
My local Audi dealership were informed of the issues at the end of May and the car was booked in to be inspected.
Whilst waiting for the car to be inspected it had a tendency to cut out completely and could only be started with the ignition key.
As a result and following research into this engine problem I rejected the vehicle and was refunded any payments I had made on it.
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 (that replaced the old Sale of Good Act 1979) states that purchase any product should be of 'satisfactory quality', 'fit for purpose' and 'as described' This includes any purchase bought on finance. The vehicle does not meet this criteria.
I am sure Audi are aware of this kangarooing issue on this 1.5tfsi engine as the internet is littered with VW / Audi forums, Honest John, Autocar, Autoexpress, etc regarding this.
What I can't understand is why this has not been sorted during manufacture and VAG are still selling these defective vehicles.

See links all relating to this problem:
https://www.q2forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=893
https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=266&start=1040
https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/threads/q3-2019-1-5-kangarooing.5807/
https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/190172-1-5-TSI-Evo-engine-problems
https://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/topic/9046-new-15-tfsi-engine/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-cars/2020-03/volkswagen-announces-fix-for-15-tsi-engine-hesitation-issues/
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-5-tfsi-engine-software-update.388315/
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/is-there-a-problem-with-the-volkswagen-group-15-petrol-engine/n20104
https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/problems-with-vw-1-5-tsi-petrol-engine/page/4/
https://car-recalls.eu/official-vw-skoda-and-seat-recall-for-some-bouncing-1-5-tsi-engines/
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107558/juddering-vw-group-cars-no-end-in-sight-for-owners
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/vw-1-5-tsi-jerky-acceletation.18884440/
<FACEBOOK id="1721471281327882" type="post" user="sytneraudi"></FACEBOOK>

And the list goes on and on.

Not good enough VAG, lost all confidence in brand.

#49 ·
Thank Simon,
I had a suspicion there was still a doubt about it, although some say all is well.
I may have to play safe and have the VW Taigo (1.0 engine with 110bhp). I thought about the Q2 with the same engine but it seems too small for the body.
Such a shame as my old Q2 with the 1.4 engine, progressive steering, electronic handbrake ect. was the best car I have owned.
This should have been resolved by now, I recall first seeing it reported on the Skoda Forum, then the T - Roc, and then it reach Q2 users.
It was a surprise to read members advising each other of the rejection process.

#50 ·
I have the dreaded 1.5tfsi 35 engine in my A3 saloon 68 reg. Since the day I got it home the engine has sounded dreadful on start up, has kangaroo'd and had slight power loss at times.

I brought this car at the beginning of the year and the car has been back to the garage 8 times with the same issue being fobbed off again and again.

On the second to last visit they did say that there was a software update completed which had resolved the issue but it didn't!
It is now back with Audi and has been there for just under a week. They have now said that it is a suspected camshaft problem. Luckily this is covered by warranty.
Has anyone else had this diagnosis? The date of registration for my car is December 2019 and was like this when I brought the car at 2 years old, surely this is not normal!

#51 ·
Hi my 2021 Q2 has been into Audi today because I find that it kangaroos down the road when I pull off in it. Audi could not replicate it and there was no errors showing. Said it should have the lastest software patch as there the issues in the past. Also there was a rattle underneath, the 2021 model has a new gearbox and was compare to another 2021 Q2 and it made the same noise, to do with the drive train. So there may still be a problem with the 1.5 engines or the combination of new gearbox and engine, different to my 2018 Q2 that is causing me to drive like a kangagroo. Would like to know if there is anyone else out there having the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.