Just ordered a Black edition - diesel did i make a mistake ?

All Audi Q2 related discussions
creatz

Just ordered a Black edition - diesel did i make a mistake ?

Post by creatz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi everyone i'm new here to the forums.

I placed an order for new Q2 Black edition 116ps 1.6 diesel 6 speed with the upgraded wheels
i see a lot of people with the petrol model on here and i'm wondering if i made a mistake getting the diesel version ?

will it feel extremely sluggish ? would i be better with the petrol version ?
could i get it chipped , has anyone had there's chipped ?

thanks all

ormesome

Re: Just ordered a Black edition - diesel did i make a mistake ?

Post by ormesome » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Welcome! and congrats on ordering a Q2.

Diesel is a bit of a marmite thing at the moment what with the emissions controls etc.... I have the 2.0tdi 190bhp in my Q2. I love it. fuel consumption is around 40mpg but i do a lot of town driving and its also got Quattro so it's expected. I had a 1.6tdi A3 before the Q2. Loved it. Only car iv had for longer than 2yrs (i change alot!!). I used to get 55-60mpg on a run easily. If the engine is the same as the A3 then yes you can have it chipped or remapped but it will most prob invalidate your warranty. I wouldnt have thought it will be sluggish, if you put it in dynamic in Drive Select then it will liven up a bit. I mean, 116bhp is never going to feel fast but since its a diesel the torque is ok.

Petrol vs Diesel is a huge debate which only you can answer. People will come along with "facts" that diesel is the devil and that it is dying out and to be banned but its simply not true. Old diesels are being banned in cities but petrol engines are too. The publicity only went to diesel because of the VW diesegate scandal. my engine is an EU6b category which will be fine for at least another decade. I would assume yours is too as i think car manufacturers have to sell with the current tech/legislation.
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

aidam11

Post by aidam11 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:47 pm

I have Q2 1.6TDI with DSG, delivered Jan 2019 and man that thing goes! It is agile and feels best at motorway speeds. 150-180 Km/h is a very comfy cruising speed if you like to go that fast. Just be sure to run it in properly; gentle with the accelerator in the first 2000km :)

creatz

Post by creatz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 pm

thanks for all your replies, i just cant help but think, should i have gone with a t roc or a tiguan

i'm currently driving an A3 2.0 150ps and some days i find that to be slow =(

AllanG

Post by AllanG » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am

The last time I bought a diesel car was when I was regularly covering 12-15k miles pa, predominantly on long motorway / A road journeys, which it was great for.

However, now I only do about 8k miles pa, mostly urban journeys, my last two cars have been petrol which, IMO, have been an excellent choice....and this includes the 2.0 TFSI engine in my current Q5.

As I see it, the problem with modern diesel cars is that unless you do highish annual mileage, with plenty of long motorway / A road journeys, then you can run the risk of diesel particulate filter (DPF) problems when using the vehicle for predominantly urban use, as the DPF won’t correctly regenerate itself.

IMO, modern Audi petrol engines are fantastic, especially when linked to the DSG gearbox, and I’d never go back to a diesel.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 am

Petrol cars are now getting fitted with particulate filters, although they might have a different name. So the regeneration problems of diesels are going to be coming to petrol engines very soon. Only difference is that petrol engines warm up quicker so it might be easier to burn them off, whereas a diesel takes quite a while to warm up hence the problems with town driving etc...
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Urv

Post by Urv » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 am

Hi ..... my wife took delivery of a Q2 1.6tdi S Line in November 2016 ..... the car had issues with the diesel particulate filter constantly “blocking up” but this was purely down to the lack of use ...... admittedly the diesel version was purchased for journeys from East to West Coast of Scotland to visit our grandsons ...... but with the filter issues, she ended up using loan cars or my car more often ...... so at two and a half years old and under 10,000 miles she ordered a Q2 petrol 35tfsi Black Edition.
Now I’m sure the diesel version is a fine car, but it works best being “used” daily ...... not as in my wife’s case.
Her new car, fitted with the optional adaptive suspension with damper control gives an extremely smooth drive, plus the upgraded alloys .... the petrol engine pulls well and is returning just on 45mpg ..... the diesel version managed a good 10mpg more.
The diesel version felt more powerful, bit gruff noise, but eager to go on the open road and happy to tootle around town.
So.....diesel is perfect, but do mileage !
T-Roc ? ...... my daughter ordered an SE at the end of October 2018 and it has not yet got to a confirmed build week yet.
She ended up, with the blessing of the Dealer, cancel her order and went back to another Golf Estate, but petrol this time.
My wife ordered her Black Edition mid January and she collected it from the Dealer mid March.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”