Audi Q2 Forum banner

Oddly mottled rubber window seals

64K views 98 replies 22 participants last post by  ernieh 
#1 ·
New to forum and have already posted this question elsewhere on the forum......wrong place, I suspect.
My new Q2 has very odd mottled grey/black window seals. I first thought it was pattern! But it's clearly not as it's very irregular and doesn't look good. Has anyone else experienced this? my A1 didn't have this issue.

#7 ·
Took car to the dealer. It seems the valeters had flagged up this issue.......... and it seems to be only with Q2s. No one seems to know the cause though it would appear that the side of the car in direct sun is much worse. This is also the case with the Q2s in the showroom.
Anyway they will take the car in in a couple of weeks and see what they can do. Will post the results.

#9 ·
golfergirl28 said:
Took car to the dealer. It seems the valeters had flagged up this issue.......... and it seems to be only with Q2s. No one seems to know the cause though it would appear that the side of the car in direct sun is much worse. This is also the case with the Q2s in the showroom.
Anyway they will take the car in in a couple of weeks and see what they can do. Will post the results.
Thanks for the update... will be interesting to know what their solution is...

#10 ·
golfergirl28 said:
I've noticed exactly the same issue with the window seals on my 7-month-old Q2. I was intending to raise it with my dealer, but perhaps I'll wait to see your report back.

#11 ·
Update. I took the car into the dealer and left if for the day. Rubber seals were treated/cleaned with something and now look perfect. I asked what had been done but person handing over the car didn't know. It really does seem to be an issue with the Q2 and Audi seems to know about it.
I did notice that the side parked in direct sun was worse. I'll be keeping an eye on it but hope that's it fixed once and for all.

#15 ·
Yes I have. They have to book it in for the day - going in 24 August I think as I need a courtesy car so three week wait. That way they can report to Audi and hopefully find out what to do - got the impression they have to get authorisation to replace the seals which is what I'm going to insist on. I'm hoping Audi will already know of this problem and have a solution. Needs everyone to report to their dealership if they have this problem.

#16 ·
I took my Q2 in to my dealer this week to have him look at the mottled window seals. He told me the problem was known to Audi, and asked me if I used a hand car wash. According to Audi the mottled grey effect is caused by an "acidic" grime removal spray product often used as the first stage of a hand car wash. The spray is designed to be used only on the wheels, arches and sills where the worst grime accumulates and not on the upper areas of the car body. I was advised that the mottling effect can be removed with slightly-diluted or undiluted car shampoo, and that Audi do not consider the rubber seals are defective.

I told the dealer I was sceptical about Audi's explanation as I had used the same car wash for years, and the A3 I previously took there had never suffered this problem. He just suggested that the material used in manufacturing the rubber seals may be slightly different, which seems to me to beg the question whether the material used on the Q2 is satisfactory.

I will try to clean my window seals as suggested, and for a few weeks I'll clean the car myself at home to see if the problem recurs.

It would be useful to know whether anyone has the grey mottled window seals and has only ever cleaned their car with regular car shampoo.

#17 ·
Graham said:
I took my Q2 in to my dealer this week to have him look at the mottled window seals. He told me the problem was known to Audi, and asked me if I used a hand car wash. According to Audi the mottled grey effect is caused by an "acidic" grime removal spray product often used as the first stage of a hand car wash. The spray is designed to be used only on the wheels, arches and sills where the worst grime accumulates and not on the upper areas of the car body. I was advised that the mottling effect can be removed with slightly-diluted or undiluted car shampoo, and that Audi do not consider the rubber seals are defective.

I told the dealer I was sceptical about Audi's explanation as I had used the same car wash for years, and the A3 I previously took there had never suffered this problem. He just suggested that the material used in manufacturing the rubber seals may be slightly different, which seems to me to beg the question whether the material used on the Q2 is satisfactory.

I will try to clean my window seals as suggested, and for a few weeks I'll clean the car myself at home to see if the problem recurs.

It would be useful to know whether anyone has the grey mottled window seals and has only ever cleaned their car with regular car shampoo.
Hi,

I have only hand washed my car from new. I do wax it too and had noticed the grey mottling on the seals. Never gave it that much of a thought though until it was first mentioned on here.

I think the 'problem' is here to stay unless they replace the seals altogether. Even if you are able to remove it I am sure it will reoccur.

#18 ·
I had Audi paint protection applied to my Q2 before I took delivery.

I noticed the problem with the window seals before I had cleaned my car. When it was cleaned I used the products provided in the paint protection pack provided by Audi and nothing else at all. I really don't think Audi claiming the mottling is caused by a cleaning product stacks up.

My car doesn't go in to the dealership for a few weeks but when it goes in I shall be expecting a better response than inferring the cleaning product caused the problem because I really don't think that's the reason! Liquid White Product Fluid Personal care

Attachments

#20 ·
I think calling Audi customer service is a good idea especially as other posters have said Audi are already aware of this problem. Booking my car in for the day and having to mess around with a courtesy car is a waste of time just so the dealership can then ask Audi what it should do. I will call Audi CS Monday morning and alert them to it going in and ask them to liaise with the dealership regarding putting things right. Well, I live in hope!

#87 ·
Good evening,
I hope that you can help me. I realise that this is a very old post but I am having the same mottled problem with my almost new Audi A1 The dealership has been no help at all and even told me that the problem was because I had washed my car with Autoglym so wasn't covered by the warranty.
Please could you tell me your outcome? I am so disappointed with Audi.

Many thanks.

#23 ·
Update. Having logged my complaint, I received a call from an Audi customer services manager as promised. They are not aware of problems with the window seals and have asked for a couple of days to look into it and will call me back. May be worth other people logging this problem with customer services.?

#26 ·
Just tweeted Audi Uk publicly and they suggest they've not heard of an issue. Just responded that owners have been advised this is a known issue.
Planning on taking mine back to dealers this week as I have the same issue, but already feel I'm going to be fobbed off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.