Audi Q2 Forum banner

Dash air outlets do not close

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  peterfb 
#1 ·
My new Q2 has continuous air discharge from the two vents on the dash closest to the doors. I have tried every combination of the A/C and ventilation controls and switches and the only way to stop the air flow is by using the rotating ring dampers on the vents.

I have asked the dealer if he would research the possibilities of the problem with Audi but he has asked me to just bring the car in for a day for diagnosis. It is probably related to an electric damper motor and I am concerned that the whole dashboard may have to be removed to find the problem and fix it.

I am very reluctant to have the dash removed on my new car as all sorts of things could go wrong. I think I would rather tolerate it if I were not told beforehand what the problem is. I wonder if electronic diagnosis could identify the cause?

Has anyone experienced the same problem on a Q2 or other models? Any comments appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Apparently a false alarm! I took a new demonstrator for a drive to see if it had the wheel vibration which I suspected in my car, and it was virtually the same to drive, which was encouraging as now I can just get on and enjoy it. It has taken me a while to adjust after years of driving a C-class Merc, but the Q2 is much more fun!

As it turned out this new Q2 also had constant air flow from the two outer vents on the dash, so it appears to be a standard feature. Because I did not receive any posts to say that others also had this, I assumed that it was a fault.

#3 ·
Glad you're enjoying the car... it is nice to drive. I guess a new car often feels different in many ways. I have started to get a clutch slipping problem when cold... will start a separate thread to see if anyone else has had a similar issue but will need to get it booked in.

I read your comments about the vents. You didn't mention what aircon system you have. I have climate control and when left on auto little air tends to flow out of the side vents. Turning the bezel naturally stops the flow altogether which to me is a natural process. Again though... probably just different to what you are used to.

#4 ·
A slipping clutch is a bit of a worry. What are the symptoms...does the engine rev up before the car starts to move, as in a manual car with same problem? That used to be an awful sensation, especially when starting on a hil! I have watched a video on YouTube which explains the operation of a dual clutch and how to drive with one...different technique from a fluid flywheel. I should wait for your new post rather than discuss it here!

I have climate control but rarely use auto. There is always full air flow from the side vents regardless of which controls I select.

#6 ·
Hi AllanG, Automatic dual zone climate control is standard equipment on the Q2 and the current A3. I generally just use the outside air ventilation unless it is very hot or cold...being an engineer I like to save energy on a/c! If you select the efficiency program under vehicle functions using the left hand steering wheel buttons you can read how much fuel is being consumed by the a/c, in litres/hour.

Have you noticed if there is constant air flow from the perimeter dash outlets on your car (although the A3 may be different)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.