Audi Q2 Forum banner

Re new 35 1.5 TFSI Engines

94K views 125 replies 27 participants last post by  Q2Blue 
#1 ·
Recently Audi have changed engine choices for Audi Q2 in UK for the cars ordered after Aug / September 2018 , those who ordered 1.4 tfsi will be getting 1.5 tfsi which they are calling 35 batch engine.
The new engine has more CO2 Emissions 121gm/km vs 119gm/km , poor fuel economy 53.3 combined vs 54.3 mpg in 1.4 tfsi and identical power and torque. Apparently real world economy is worse than shown for new engine as per most reviews i have seen, with considerable difference in drive experience and MPG.
The only difference is in terms of better NOx emissions and EURO 6d temp emission class to comply with regulations, the trade off is poor economy, more CO2 emissions and marginally poor driving experience.
Can't get over the fact that Audi made this change without even notifying the costumers who had ordered 1.4 tfsi, most dealers aren't volunteering this information either, when I found out and asked my dealer, he didn't even know and confirmed after a wekk :roll:
Anyone who has taken delivery on this new Engine Q2 35? , how is the experience?

#2 ·
I ordered my 1.4 tfsi in June this year and took delivery on Dec 22nd, it appears the car arrived with the 1498cc engine fitted , I haven't questioned this with the dealer as I can't se anything being achieved, looks like we're stuck with it , but tha5s not a problem as i see it as the car performs brilliantly and I'm very happy with it , can't say how the 1.4 performs having not owned one. Car also came with powered tailgate.

#3 ·
Do you know if my car is coming in February with this new engine, can I ask the dealer to keep the car until March for the new Reg No with ''19''?

#4 ·
shiffty said:
Do you know if my car is coming in February with this new engine, can I ask the dealer to keep the car until March for the new Reg No with ''19''?
I would guess if they have delayed your order like most yes, no skin off there nose unless they gave you a good deal to get there sale numbers up knowing it would be hear to regerster before 1st March

#5 ·
We tried to delay ours till the new year to make it 2019 reg , it arrived at the dealers on the 21st Dec and there was no way they would agree, obviously they wanted it gone for the end of year figures. A few weeks before we were told it may arrive in the new year so we said we didn't want it till the new reg in March and would they hold it for us to which they said " no problem" May depend on the dealer.

#6 ·
I will have a look as well.
The car is still waiting the quality process assessment and trip to UK after.

I hope if the car is coming in February to push as well with them to have it in early March.

#7 ·
This does not sound good.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/q2-1-5-tfsi-engine.383066/

Have any Q2 owners with the new 1.5 tfsi engine experienced the kangaroo syndrome when setting off in first gear from cold? All the other cars in the vag group with this engine are suffering badly with this, VW T-ROC 1.5 tsi evo, Seat Arona, Skoda Karoq. VAG have been notified but seem to be ignoring it. On this sister VW forum there are 15 pages of complaints so. I'm wondering now if there are any Q2 owners with this problem?

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266&sid=32fb79b44a17e701d87a7bca876cf0a1

#8 ·
My Q2 Sline 1.5 TFSI 35 stronic has the kangaroo characteristic. Purchased September 2018 delivered December 2018. On a cold morning the car changes up to 2nd really quickly, I'm still in my driveway doing less than 5mph but the car is in 2nd starts kangarooing: in an automatic!!! The solution is to increase the revs but in an automatic that increases speed, not ideal on the drive. I didn't realise that others had this issue, I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

#10 ·
Grateful to Q2Blue for highlighting the problem, I was thinking of trading in my current 2 year old 1.4 for similar believing it was only the manual gearbox that had the issue.
Now backing right off away from the 1.5 (35) engine.
Honest Johns website has 2 articles dated end of Jan saying VW acknowledge the problem and are working on a fix. They cannot rule out a re call.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

Daytel
1.4 Sport S tronic. Glacier White. Manhatton grey blades
Park assist / Side and rear Cross Traffic assist / folding mirrors / Auto dim rear view mirror / Brushed Ali inlays instead of red / Flat bottom steering wheel / Dual zone climate control / Folding mirrors

#13 ·
Just received the car on the 4th of March. They were able to keep to the car since 10 th of Jan when arrived at the dealer. Amazing job.

The 1.5 engine looks very good, power and quiet as well.

#15 ·
I have a Q3 as a curtsy car with this engine haven't experienced the kangaroo syndrome as yet my car has gone in with our napper leather looking like it's got 140,000 miles on it instead of just 4,000 they are sagging.
The dealer rang me mid afternoon to say they need it for another 3/4 days so if the Q3 does start kangarooing Iwill let you guys know and it has the step tronic auto box.

#16 ·
Q2Blue said:
My Q2 Sline 1.5 TFSI 35 stronic has the kangaroo characteristic. Purchased September 2018 delivered December 2018. On a cold morning the car changes up to 2nd really quickly, I'm still in my driveway doing less than 5mph but the car is in 2nd starts kangarooing: in an automatic!!! The solution is to increase the revs but in an automatic that increases speed, not ideal on the drive. I didn't realise that others had this issue, I'll call the dealer tomorrow.
Gutted to collect my 1.5 engine 35 Manual on Friday and find it has this problem. Cannot safely pull away in 1st without overrevving, engine can die when you are trying to pull away. Really flat performance compare to A1 / 1.4 I has before. There seems few Q2 owners complaining compared to VW/Skoda, is it because we are only just getting deliveries of this engine?

#17 ·
Delstron said:
Q2Blue said:
Gutted to collect my 1.5 engine 35 Manual on Friday and find it has this problem. Cannot safely pull away in 1st without overrevving, engine can die when you are trying to pull away. Really flat performance compare to A1 / 1.4 I has before. There seems few Q2 owners complaining compared to VW/Skoda, is it because we are only just getting deliveries of this engine?
Hi Delstron ...

Same here - collected our new Q2 "35" engine manual a week ago and it has exactly the same problems as described here and elsewhere.

My dealer says they are unaware of the problem and of the VW confirmation that there is a problem.

Taking it in tomorrow morning to have a drive round with a technician. Expect to be able to reproduce the kangarooing fault easily, but the cutting out when pulling away is more random - it has happened 4 times to us so far, fortunately not in very dangerous situations so far.

It's supposed to be my wife's car but she is now afraid to drive it until the fault is fixed, so fingers crossed that something will be forthcoming from VW. If not, we will have to reject it - shame because it is otherwise a great vehicle. It's replaced an A3 cabrio which had the 1.4 engine which was great. We test drove a Q2 with the same 1.4 engine, which was of course ideal, but by the time we ordered one it had to be the new "35" version Grrrr.

Simon.

#18 ·
i have a 1.4 12 mths old , and is reluctant to pull cleanly from cold in 1st
when warmed up , abolutely no bother feels like a different engine ,
i have always thought it was to do with mixture
when cold ,
very very surprised regarding the s tronic , thought this would situation would be overcome by the auto , i was actually considering my next q2 being an auto to remove the above problem , but maybe it will not , that would be an expense for no real gain , when the car is warmed up , the manual gearbox and response is great
have heard various rumblings regarding the "improvement" of the 1.5 over the 1.4 ,

#19 ·
Sorry to hear your story too, SimonS, but in a way pleased its not a one-off. I am just going out now for a ride to make sure I have the issue clear in my mind before I write to the dealer. Feel for the dealer who has been great during the sale but of course the buyers recourse is with the selling dealer and not Audi. There is also an element of urgency as rejection (outright) needs to be within 30 days.

Really disappointed as, otherwise, the car is excellent.

Purchased online only a week ago so distance selling cancellation would normally make rejection simple HOWEVER when I collected the car the sales manager absolutely insisted on me signing a new purchase contract (I'd already signed one via email). This second contract supersedes the 'distance selling' contract. This is a common ploy, I now know, to squash the 14 day cooling off period.

#21 ·
So I have had test drives in two other cars, one with 1.4 TFSI and one with 1.5 35 petrol, both manuals.

The 1.4 drives identically to my previous 1.4 A1 as you would expect. Pulls from stationary with urge and responsiveness through first and second. If I had bought this engine I would be totally happy.

The 1.5 was the same as my new vehicle, sluggish through the low gears. Perhaps a little less hesitant but not much in it.

This confirms to me that the new 1.5 engine (and or gearbox) has been significantly changed from the 1.4. Now no possibility to accelerate out of trouble below 20 mph.

The total loss of power, dying off etc. I have not seen for 4-5 days since the weather warmed up. On this basis cannot expect to demonstrate a true fault to the dealer. SimonS any change at your end since the warmer weather?

#23 ·
Update from an automatic 1.5 tfsi.

I've been experimenting with a lot of different settings and situations. The car does not stall but, from a cold start driving for the first 100m or so at low revs the car changes up to 2, then 3rd. In this situation the car starts to kangaroo but, the electronics of the auto gear box work hard to keep it under control. You can feel the engine changing tone as the electronics work the revs and the clutch. This happens least in sport mode and most in comfort mode. The air temp has to be quite cool and the engine fully cold otherwise it just drives normally.

I'm not too sure if I should send this to anyone at Audi or even who, the dealer doesn't seem that interested. For me, unlike those with manuals, it does not cut out and actually doesn't really cause me any bother. Now that I know it's going to happen and will only last 30 seconds the issue comes and goes whilst I'm just pulling off into my road. I've spoken to the dealer but they want to keep the car for two or three days and , for me, it's not really that troublesome.

Other than this mild inconvenience I'm very happy with my Q2

#24 ·
Q2Blue said:
I've been experimenting with a lot of different settings and situations. The car does not stall but, from a cold start driving for the first 100m or so at low revs the car changes up to 2, then 3rd. In this situation the car starts to kangaroo but, the electronics of the auto gear box work hard to keep it under control. You can feel the engine changing tone as the electronics work the revs and the clutch. This happens least in sport mode and most in comfort mode. The air temp has to be quite cool and the engine fully cold otherwise it just drives normally.
Can you not use the paddles to change back down a gear when it changes up to keep the revs a bit higher

#25 ·
Delstron said:
So I have had test drives in two other cars, one with 1.4 TFSI and one with 1.5 35 petrol, both manuals.

The 1.4 drives identically to my previous 1.4 A1 as you would expect. Pulls from stationary with urge and responsiveness through first and second. If I had bought this engine I would be totally happy.

The 1.5 was the same as my new vehicle, sluggish through the low gears. Perhaps a little less hesitant but not much in it.

This confirms to me that the new 1.5 engine (and or gearbox) has been significantly changed from the 1.4. Now no possibility to accelerate out of trouble below 20 mph.

The total loss of power, dying off etc. I have not seen for 4-5 days since the weather warmed up. On this basis cannot expect to demonstrate a true fault to the dealer. SimonS any change at your end since the warmer weather?
Hi Delstron,

Kangarooing is unchanged - this seems to happen regardless of the temperature. The engine hasn't cut out in the last few days but it has felt like it is about to about 3 times - I have managed to catch it just in time by dipping the clutch and giving it a bit more gas.

I took it to the dealer last Tuesday and we had a short drive where the kangarooing was very evident. The service department were going to contact Audi technical for advice but have heard nothing since - will chase them up tomorrow (Monday).

Best regards,
Simon.

#26 ·
2degrees first thing and did a quick loop to test the performance as it's been warm for the last 10 days. Very poor in low gears until it was warmed up. So for me, I have poor acceleration in low gears hot or cold requiring skillfull clutch control, ok once above 20-25. And dire pulling away when cold until warm.

SimonS, what's your news?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.