Audi Q2 Forum banner

Q2 quite?

11K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Bigfoot 
#1 ·
Hi all, im. New here

Im am considering the Q2 everything about it suits me and my needs . the problem is i have a hearing problem that can gets worse with a lot of noise.

A friend owns a Q2 and said his is noisy yet when i test drove one i thought it was quite. So i wanted to Hear from more Q2 owners to see if they find theres quite?

My partner told me to make sure i have good tyres on to reduce tyre noise and avoid low profile tyres.

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to the club! My Q2 has big wheels, 19 inch. I dont find it noisy and im coming from an Audi A3 1.6 diesel. My Q2 is a 2.0 tdi. I think the petrol engines are quieter though but i wouldn't get a petrol just because of this as there is no problem with the diesel . My Q2 is a great cruiser and really have had no problems with it. I would suggest you try to avoid the bigger wheels maybe but then your Q2 might look a little odd as it doesnt look great without the big wheels. Either way, i think you will be fine. Go test drive one!! :D

#4 ·
I have the 1.4 TFSi Sport with the standard 17" wheels, and it's much quieter than my previous A3 2.0 tdi. The Q2 handles great with the taller tyres, as well as being a smoother ride. What's more I've had no kerb damage to the alloys, which was a recurrent problem with the lower-profile tyres on the A3.

I daresay "there is no problem with the diesel" but the balance of advantage is definitely shifting. To my surprise, I'm getting very nearly the same mpg with the 1.4 TFSi as I used to get with the 2.0 tdi. And I'll avoid the future congestion charges and road-tax increases on diesel motors, with the effect on re-sale prices.

#6 ·
Graham said:
I daresay "there is no problem with the diesel" but the balance of advantage is definitely shifting. To my surprise, I'm getting very nearly the same mpg with the 1.4 TFSi as I used to get with the 2.0 tdi. And I'll avoid the future congestion charges and road-tax increases on diesel motors, with the effect on re-sale prices.
As will all Q2 diesel owners. The current and future laws do not include only diesel engines but petrol too. It actually applies to Euro 5 diesel cars in the future. My 2.0tdi is Euro 6b which is the most advanced so far. Euro 7 is coming out soon for diesel and petrol engines. You aren't safe just because you have a petrol engine! that is a general misconception not made clear by the tabloids! In fact, petrol particulate filters are now introduced so the petrol engines will also have the same problems with the DPF as diesel engines do, such a regenerations etc...

Also, do not forget that this is an international forum. No such congestion charges or road tax increases in any other country. Also, diesel is way more popular in the EU compared to the UK due to lower fuel prices. Re-sell values are just as strong as petrol too. Anyway, i would buy diesel again in the UK. The fees you talk about are for central London and as i mentioned before, apply for older gen cars, petrol & diesel alike. I can drive my Q2 just fine in central London and pay the same as you, including any current advertised future law changes.

#8 ·
1.4 tsfi , a very smooth and quiet engine , cannot imagine any diesel being any quieter
it is well reported professionally that the car rides best on standard 17 " , larger may look "better" but with larger tyres comes increased noise and inferior ride
test drive 1.4 or 1.5 as it is now on standard tyres , side by side against any tdi with 18 or19 " wheels , the only way to really make your final decision

#9 ·
I also find my 1.4 petrol extremely quiet while puddling around town but I think your refuring to road noise at speed from the wheels, I have the 19's on mine which are low profile but still not to bad at speed not silent what car is? I wouldnt have chose 19's out of choice but as we bought a #1 edition demo my hands were tied but if you go for 17's it will be far better as it will have a deeper profile wall, downside not as good looking but my pet hate is a noisy cabin my preferred choice would have been 18's but as said find some second hand ones and test the 3 options

#10 ·
Hi, don't know if you went ahead and bought a Q2 but if you did I wondered how you were getting on with it?
I also have hearing problem and am about to buy new tyres for front of my 1.0tfsi sport.
I've noticed that the Falken Ziev W rated tyres are rated at lower decibel than the V rated so am considering getting those. The speed rating is irrelevant to me as i drive in a "subdued" manner. (Old fart basically lol)
Other than noise on motorway really pleased with Q2.
Anyone else have thoughts on tyre choice?
Thanks

#11 ·
Hi,

My Q2 Black Edition petrol has 19" wheels and I find the car reasonably quiet even on our pot holed roads. I did test drive a S-line on 18" and didn't notice much difference between the two. Like ormesome, bigger wheel really set the car off and it was one reason I went for the Black Edition.

It's definitely worth test driving both cars to satisfy yourself the car is right for you otherwise you will forever be annoyed every time you get in the car.

#13 ·
Mine is a 1.4 TFSI Stronic with 19" wheels, at the beginning I found it noisy but now I got used to it, but it's inconfortable, specially on paved roads, the only noise that bother me really is the rattling on the gearbox when it goes from 1st to 2nd and 3d, same rattling happening when I run over bad/paved roads at low speed, which apparently is normal for a VW DSG7,

also another type of rattling happening when engine switch to dual cylinder mode, less noisy, this also is apparently normal.

other than that, the car is very silent to the point that sometimes pedestrians doesn't realize that I'm behind them.

#14 ·
Grongydong said:
Hi, don't know if you went ahead and bought a Q2 but if you did I wondered how you were getting on with it?
I also have hearing problem and am about to buy new tyres for front of my 1.0tfsi sport.
I've noticed that the Falken Ziev W rated tyres are rated at lower decibel than the V rated so am considering getting those. The speed rating is irrelevant to me as i drive in a "subdued" manner. (Old fart basically lol)
Other than noise on motorway really pleased with Q2.
Anyone else have thoughts on tyre choice?
Thanks
I would be wary about changing the tyre rating, your insurance company might class that as a modification, it's worth contacting them to confirm it's ok. I totally understand what you are saying but unfortunately insurance companies will look for any reason to not pay out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.