Audi Connect and wi-fi

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q2
Geh2020

Audi Connect and wi-fi

Post by Geh2020 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:26 am

Hi,

I thought I was ok with technology, but trying to figure out Audi Connect is causing serious brain ache!

My mission is to connect a device to the Audi embedded SIM using wi-fi. I’ve sorted the myAudi account, so that’s registered. On the car menu under wi-if settings I can see the network key, access point and password, so note these down. Next, under options, wi-if settings, turn on wi-fi. Back to my iPhone and under wi-if I can see the Audi MMI network, so click that and enter the password I got from the wi-fi Network key menu. I then get the wi-if symbol on my phone for a few seconds, but the screen goes to Cubictelecom, where it asked me to register a new account. That’s when I stopped as I didn’t want to mess things up in case I end up paying for the Cubictelecom charges.

So, do I register a new account on the Cubic telecom, or am I worrying about something I’ll never use and leave well alone?

My car doesn't have the tech pack, only the SD based nav system.

Thanks in advance.
2020 Q2 35 tfsi Black Edition s-tronic, Mythos Black and climate control.

Mods so far using Carista, needle sweep on startup.

Jo67

Re: Audi Connect and wi-fi

Post by Jo67 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm

HI. Like you, I am tech savvy. I've been through everything you have and also registered with Cubictelecom (which was pointless). I still don't have the connectivity. After several months I've given up and decided it's just not worth the hassle.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 am

WiFi is only enabled via Cubic Telecom. The inbuilt sim data connection is only used for the Audi Connect service which is different to WiFi. Google it, it’s the same with the A3! Also the cars manual tells you this!

If you do not want to pay the expensive Cubic Telecom price then you can get a data sim and put that in the MMI in the glovebox, however, as soon as you do then all data is transferred to that sim and the Audi inbuilt sim is disconnected, Audi Connect and also WiFi would then use your new sim so make sure it’s a big data allowance.

Just registering with Cubic won’t get you anywhere. You need to pay. Also you can do this via the MMI under Audi Connect and data plans. I pay 96chf which is around £85 per year for 25gb which is amazing for me as I live in Switzerland and EU roaming is not a thing like UK.
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Geh2020

Post by Geh2020 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am

Hi Ormesome,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been back to the manual and below is what I’m doing.

My manual (page 188), the section ‘Using the wi-if hotspots’ says you can connect up to eight wi-fi devices to the MMI wi-fi hotspot. So these are the instructions I have been following. From Menu, Telephone, right control button, Wi-if settings, Network Key. Then the access codes for the wi-fi hotspot is displayed. I note the network identifier and password. I switch on my iPhone and go to wi-fi, there I see the Audi MMI wi-fi network on my phone, not my iPhone hotspot as that’s always been switched off. So this is where I select this network, enter the password I noted, and my iPhone connects for a few seconds and then bounces to Cubictelecom to register.

I’m at a stage where Jo67 is, so may just enjoy the car and not bother!

Thanks again

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 am

Geh2020 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am
Hi Ormesome,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been back to the manual and below is what I’m doing.

My manual (page 188), the section ‘Using the wi-if hotspots’ says you can connect up to eight wi-fi devices to the MMI wi-fi hotspot. So these are the instructions I have been following. From Menu, Telephone, right control button, Wi-if settings, Network Key. Then the access codes for the wi-fi hotspot is displayed. I note the network identifier and password. I switch on my iPhone and go to wi-fi, there I see the Audi MMI wi-fi network on my phone, not my iPhone hotspot as that’s always been switched off. So this is where I select this network, enter the password I noted, and my iPhone connects for a few seconds and then bounces to Cubictelecom to register.

I’m at a stage where Jo67 is, so may just enjoy the car and not bother!

Thanks again

Morning! You are doing nothing wrong, apart from that you have NO data package with Cubic Telecom so your WiFi will not enable. Trust me! This is what is happening! Iv been through it, millions of posts on the internet covering this too!

As per my first post, you need data on the WiFi hotspot via CT ( cubic telecom) to make it work. No way around it, nothing will change this for you. Your car is fine, your doing everything correct apart from buying data via CT to activate WiFi in your car! Audi connect is NOT WiFi.

Geh2020

Post by Geh2020 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:32 am

Thanks again. I’m not going to pay the Cubictelecom charges, so will not worry about wi-fi anymore.

Amazing what sounded simple when the dealer said press this button, click that, and it will work was clearly sales talk😆😆

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:35 am

Geh2020 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:32 am
Thanks again. I’m not going to pay the Cubictelecom charges, so will not worry about wi-fi anymore.

Amazing what sounded simple when the dealer said press this button, click that, and it will work was clearly sales talk😆😆

It’s an Audi mate! Everything is a paid extra! If you are in the UK then your prob best getting a 3 data sim. I hear some have got it for around 30pounds with 100gb for a year. Put that in the car and your all set for Audi connect and WiFi.