Parking Brake

Faults and Technical chat for the Audi Q2
pejay57

Parking Brake

Post by pejay57 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Has anyone had any issues with the parking brake not auto releasing after throttle input?
This has happened to me (and my wife) when driving from stationary in both first and reverse gears. Seat belts were being worn and doors were shut.

The problem was initially intermittent but over a week became constant. On one occasion when parked on an incline with a wall in front several attempts of releasing whilst in reverse resulted in getting closer and closer to the wall before finally getting the parking brake to free-up by constantly dipping the throttle. I know there is a manual way of getting it to release by depressing the brake pedal and flicking the switch but this is not suitable for all occasions and more to the point shouldn't generally be necessary.

Took it back to the dealer and was able to demonstrate the problem several times to the 'Master Technician' who arranged for it to be booked in two weeks hence. As the time approached for the service appointment the problem became intermittent again and guess what after 24 hours, with the dealer and their Master Technicians, it had gone and they were unable to replicate it.

Brought the car home tonight but a bit concerned it will happen again. Any thoughts/advice gratefully accepted.

disappointed

Re: Parking Brake

Post by disappointed » Sun May 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Paint it green and drive it into the ocean... just kidding

I would just take it back and demonstrate the problem, tell them you won't take it back until it's fixed.

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 am

pejay57 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 pm
Has anyone had any issues with the parking brake not auto releasing after throttle input?
This has happened to me (and my wife) when driving from stationary in both first and reverse gears. Seat belts were being worn and doors were shut.

The problem was initially intermittent but over a week became constant. On one occasion when parked on an incline with a wall in front several attempts of releasing whilst in reverse resulted in getting closer and closer to the wall before finally getting the parking brake to free-up by constantly dipping the throttle. I know there is a manual way of getting it to release by depressing the brake pedal and flicking the switch but this is not suitable for all occasions and more to the point shouldn't generally be necessary.

Took it back to the dealer and was able to demonstrate the problem several times to the 'Master Technician' who arranged for it to be booked in two weeks hence. As the time approached for the service appointment the problem became intermittent again and guess what after 24 hours, with the dealer and their Master Technicians, it had gone and they were unable to replicate it.

Brought the car home tonight but a bit concerned it will happen again. Any thoughts/advice gratefully accepted.

That happened to me on one occasion after owning the car for around a month. I was on a hill and have Hill Hold Assist too... wasn't sure if it was an issue with the electromechanical parking break or Hill Hold Assist. It was frustrating at the time and think I mentioned it on here a long time ago. Similar to you but had a car behind me (not a wall) and was getting closer to that. That was the only occasion I have had an issue with it and probably done over 10,000 miles since then. Told myself if it happened again then I would take it into the dealers...

skye2248

Post by skye2248 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Have had similar problem. Brake stays locked and can’t move either forward or reverse, unless I press he brake pedal and flick the switch off. Happened once in traffic and caused me to start to roll back ! Fortunately caught it in time before rolled into car behind. Haven’t got ‘roll back’. Just had the car serviced and Audi said that they could find no fault with the system. Need to go back and demonstrate to Audi if it becomes persistent enough.

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm

I've never had this happen to me since, although at my first service in Nov '17 there was a recall for an ECU update on the mechanical break. That may have been the problem and the fix for it. Since the first instance though I think it damaged the clutch which slips a little on occasions when setting off. Naturally Audi can find no fault! Done over 40K now and will look to trade it in in the next six months or so.

Jenks

Post by Jenks » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm

I have got the Audi Q2 black edition 2019 should the handbrake come on automatically when I turn engine off as it does when am setting off

andy.h

Post by andy.h » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:28 am

Jenks wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm
I have got the Audi Q2 black edition 2019 should the handbrake come on automatically when I turn engine off as it does when am setting off
Yes, mine certainly does.
2019 Audi Q2 S Line Black Edition, 35 TFSI, S tronic, Tango Red with 5 Arm Rotor Wheels.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:31 am

Same here, mine does. Even in my manual A3 it used to do this so it can’t be a manual vs auto thing.
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Arn1

Post by Arn1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 am

My hand brake doesn't come on automaticly when the engine is turned off never has ? 1.4 2017 edition 1. No hill hold.

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:39 pm

Very weird. My A3 didn’t have hill hold but my Q2 does. Both apply handbrake when ignition is turned off or when I’m heading off 1st thing it releases it.
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Return to “Faults & Technical”