MMI Plus vs Standard for Android Auto

All Audi Q2 related discussions
agnostic

MMI Plus vs Standard for Android Auto

Post by agnostic » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:32 pm

I’ve just placed my order for a new Q2 but I didn’t chose the virtual cockpit + mmi plus due to ridiculous pricing (3200euro in my country). However now I’m having second thoughts because it just hit me that the standard mmi screen it’s not touch based. I’m upgrading my car mainly for android auto integration, more specifically for Waze, Gmaps and Spotify apps.
How cumbersome is to navigate the android auto interface without touch for simple tasks like searching for a song name, choosing a destination and so on?
If it’s a PITA and the mmi plus makes it easier, I’m willing to upgrade tomorrow, before the dealer places the factory order.

agnostic

Re: MMI Plus vs Standard for Android Auto

Post by agnostic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 am

OK, just to answer my own question. Based on the Audi provided specs, the default MMI plus is a 7” screen with a resolution of 800x480 and MMI touch is a 8.3” with a resolution of 1024x480. Android auto has a fixed resolution of 800x480 which is the golden standard adopted by most car manufacturers. Therefore, anyone looking to replace the obsolete Audi Nav with Android Auto shoud opt for the basic 7” MMI screen.
Now, if you have the 8.3” screen with the non standard resolution of 1024x480 you will get the same screen estate of 800x480 when connecting Android Auto with black bars on both sides of the image. If you’re thinking that AA supports resolution scaling, forget about it because due to non standard resolution of the 8.3” screen it will never work (to work it should have a resolution of 1280x720).
Too bad you cannot have the virtual cokpit without the 8.3”, it would have been the best of both worlds.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”