How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Sandyghirl

Re: How common is the 1.5 TFSI engine problem?

Post by Sandyghirl » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 am

Hi, I'm currently waiting on my q2 s line 1.5 automatic due to be delivered in 2wks. I have been reading your posts and honestly knew nothing of the engine problem. Is this safe? Thanks

testcard

Post by testcard » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 am

It’s safe as long as you’re aware of the issue! The worst that can happen is that occasionally the engine might stall when pulling away from a junction or roundabout. I would suggest taking this up with your dealer, and check that the software update has been applied at the factory - I would be surprised if this was not the case.
2019 Audi Q2 S line, 35 TFSI. Daytona grey.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Sandyghirl wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 am
Hi, I'm currently waiting on my q2 s line 1.5 automatic due to be delivered in 2wks. I have been reading your posts and honestly knew nothing of the engine problem. Is this safe? Thanks
And if the upgrade has NOT been applied in the factory, insist this is done during the pre-delivery period. I would not be driving away in a vehicle you and they know has faulty software.

testcard

Post by testcard » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 pm

A Skoda Karoq owner seems to be seeing an improvement with the latest software update.
Scroll down to recent post from “JakeB1941”
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/465281-karoq-software-update-progress-report/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-5303815
Last edited by testcard on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:22 pm

Also Seat forum has one or two optimistic reports from the updates they are getting.

https://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3482

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:14 am

I have followed this topic with interest since owning a 1.5 TFSI which was new at beginning of June 2019. I did post early on that I did not have any problems but as time has gone by I have had a few issues. No kangarooing but very occasionally a slight hesitation when pulling away. My main concern was the lack of power in 2nd gear. I found when coming up to a roundabout or junction and slowing down and then seeing my way clear to go the engine response was poor so much so that I invariably went into 1st gear to ensure a smooth getaway. Having read the advice on here I thought what the heck and booked the car in to my dealer. They were fully aware of some problems with the Q2 . They had the car for 2hrs and after gave me an official warranty statement that they carried out a software update. It is too early to say whether the occasional hesitation has been fixed but there is now a positive response when pulling away in 2nd gear. It performs now as it should. I did deliberately try this manoeuvre several times and the difference of before and after the update is very pleasing.

Delstron

Post by Delstron » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:59 pm

I can confirm that the software patch has either totally or 90% cured the hesitant take off from cold. Also the car will now pull away in 2nd when rolling slowly without having to engage 1st or dip the clutch and over rev.

On Tuesday I had my Q2 1.5 manual into Derby Audi for assessment. Took delivery in March and it has always had jerky takeoff and poor 2nd gear pulling away when rolling ( always had to engage 1st to move off). It was not as severe as others on here have reported so I adapted driving style to compensate.
Both the service person and the technician would not be drawn on the issues with this engine and a check of available actions showed nothing available. Technician said he had not heard of any patches for the engine control software.
Had a call to say that they had confirmed the issue and had applied the patch and test driven (5 miles done).
I will report back in a while after more use, the issues are gone but this engine is no where near as lively as the 1.4 and seems after the patch to need loads of revs and gear use which might impact economy.
Will not be buying VAG again

testcard

Post by testcard » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:55 pm

I wonder if the ECU will need to “relearn” your driving style all over again. I recall some Skoda owners being told to expect this by their dealers following their initial software updates.

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:59 am

Apart from a test drive for 30 mins prior to buying my Q2 I had never driven an Audi. I was impressed with everything about the car particularly the performance. The test drive was in a 1.4. Almost 300 miles on from my earlier post after the software update I am very pleased. The car is sharper and more responsive, equal to what I experienced in the 1.4. I have also noticed when reversing out of my drive which is quite steep far less accelerator to climb up on to the road and I have not noticed any difference in mpg following the update so all things considered very pleased.

testcard

Post by testcard » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 am

Bugsy000 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:59 am
Apart from a test drive for 30 mins prior to buying my Q2 I had never driven an Audi. I was impressed with everything about the car particularly the performance. The test drive was in a 1.4. Almost 300 miles on from my earlier post after the software update I am very pleased. The car is sharper and more responsive, equal to what I experienced in the 1.4. I have also noticed when reversing out of my drive which is quite steep far less accelerator to climb up on to the road and I have not noticed any difference in mpg following the update so all things considered very pleased.
That’s great to hear! It seems that Audi (and the others in VAG) have finally got it right.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”