Small puddle under the rear of the car.

All Audi Q2 related discussions
Bugsy000

Small puddle under the rear of the car.

Post by Bugsy000 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm

Firstly thank you all for the replies to my query on retaining mpg figures. I have now got it sorted. Now another possible problem. the car is a Q2 35 Sport and is 1 week old. For the last two mornings on opening the garage I have noticed a small puddle of what seems to be water (about 2 or3 ") diam. It is on the off side below where the bracket holds the silencer at the rear of the car. The weather has been very warm and dry. Any ideas please. Does the A/C vent at the rear by any chance.

AllanG

Re: Small puddle under the rear of the car.

Post by AllanG » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 pm

If I recall correctly, Audi exhaust silencers do have a very small hole in the bottom to allow water condensation to drain away, so preventing the silencer rusting from the inside.

Therefore, I would suggest having a good look underneath your silencer to see if such a hole is present.....if so, I think this is where the water is coming from.

Let us know what you find.

pauluk

Post by pauluk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:19 am

Funnily enough i have had the exact same thing appear over the last week - small puddles with no odour or taste, which pretty much means its water. I am not sure where the AC is located but the puddles have coincided with particularly hot days.

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:23 pm

I visited the dealer today. Car went up on the ramp and fully inspected. They couldn't find any thing wrong. The service manager suspects that during the recent very warm weather condensation has been forced out from all the nooks and crannies underneath . this would normally dissipate slowly over a period of time and not appear as puddles under the car.

Q2owner

Post by Q2owner » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:06 pm

were you running with air con on ? , if you were that what it is likely to be

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 am

That was the obvious answer but the AC vents up near the front of the car. This was very close to the rear.

AllanG

Post by AllanG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 am

Did the Audi dealer look underneath the exhaust silencer?

AllanG

Post by AllanG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:49 am

Bugsy000 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:23 pm
I visited the dealer today. Car went up on the ramp and fully inspected. They couldn't find any thing wrong. The service manager suspects that during the recent very warm weather condensation has been forced out from all the nooks and crannies underneath . this would normally dissipate slowly over a period of time and not appear as puddles under the car.
IMHO, the service manager is talking b*llocks!! :D

ormesome

Post by ormesome » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:49 am

Check out my thread about my old A3 last year. its not in the same spot as you are describing, but the conditions match my experience.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/w ... ar.339299/
Audi Q2 1st Edition - 2.0Tdi Quattro - 190bhp - S-Tronic

Bugsy000

Post by Bugsy000 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 am

Finally located the source of the water. Allan G suggested the silencer and that was spot on. On the rear horizontal box on the seam nearest to the offside rear wheel water is seeping out which is causing the small puddles on the garage floor. Was the box dropped on the floor during assembly causing a hairline crack in the weld or is there as some have suggested a "weep" hole put in the box to allow condensation to escape from the exhaust system. Looking at various related sites opinion differs. Some say a small hole is deliberately put there and others disagree. It would be nice to know. I personally think that the service department would have known immediately I mentioned the water if such a "weep" hole did indeed exist. All that aside I am loving the car and am very impressed by the quality and attention to detail. I should have had an Audi years ago.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”