Annoying rattles and knocking sounds!

All Audi Q2 related discussions
A7YJJ

Annoying rattles and knocking sounds!

Post by A7YJJ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:37 pm

I drive one of the earliest Q2's to arrive in the UK (arrived late December 2016). It's a 1.4 Sport S-tronic TFSI. In the past few months the car has developed an annoying rattling/knocking sound that appears to be coming from the tailgate or rear blade housing. Noise is very audible at slow speeds over bad roads. Took it took it to local Audi dealer, who fixed problem (but never explained to me precisely what they had done, despite me asking). Within a few days the rattling sound was back, with a vengeance. I've now booked the car in again, but to be honest I'm NOT very impressed with the interior fit and finish of my Q2, which is showing too much interior wear and tear after just 2.5 years of low-mileage usage (e.g., stitching on drivers seat has come loose, and the leather covering on drivers armrest has split open - not covered by warranty, dealer says). I'm now considering switching to Mercedes-Benz once the PCP ends, or getting the new Q3 Sportback when launched. Has anyone experienced/fixed tailgate noise/rattling on their Q2? Thanks

Daytel

Re: Annoying rattles and knocking sounds!

Post by Daytel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:51 pm

I have the same model as you, and took delivery in March 2017.
I also have a rattle coming from the rear. In an effort to trace it I emptied the boot completely, and laid the split seat back rest down, and slowly reinstated and went for test drives.
I discovered that the knocking returned when I lifted the seat back rest behind the drivers seat, and locked it in.
As a temporary measure I lifted it and just laid it into position, which cured the problem, (it clicks back in when the seat is used)).
I reported this as a fault at the 2 year service, but Audi wanted to book it in again at a later date.
I declined this as I live a fair way from the dealership, and it's not a problem as the rear seats are seldom used.
Other than that I am very pleased with it, I will have to make a decision soon about replacing.
I have looked at a T Roc, but although loaded with more equipment as standard it didn't appeal.
The T Cross could be a contender, but only has a 1 L engine, and I would miss the progressive steering and electronic hand brake / hill hold.
I am holding off until the problems with the 1.5 (35) engine is sorted, Even now there are still reports of it kangerooing on take off. so I will stick with my tried and tested 1.4. for now.

A7YJJ

Post by A7YJJ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Daytel, thanks for your detailed response, it is much appreciated. I will try out your solution with the seat back rest, and see what happens.

Argyll

Post by Argyll » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 pm

I had the same problem and the dealership fixed it by wrapping tape around the locking mechanism for the back seat. There appears to be a certain amount of play in the latch.

A7YJJ

Post by A7YJJ » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am

holy moly! It is indeed the back seats!!!! The knocking disappeared completely when I lifted the seat back rest behind the drivers seat, push it back to rest, but did not lock it in! It's clearly a design flaw in the seat locking mechanism. I'm off to Halfords to buy some tape!!!!

mr c

Post by mr c » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Argyll wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 pm
I had the same problem and the dealership fixed it by wrapping tape around the locking mechanism for the back seat. There appears to be a certain amount of play in the latch.
I can’t believe an Audi dealer would fix the issue with tape that’s what I would expect from a back street garage, if you drop the rear seats a lot closing and opening against the latch will wear the tape away.
I wouldn’t be happy with a fix like that but hey we’re all different.

aidam11

Post by aidam11 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:48 am

No rattle on my 2019 model so all they have to do is to order a new spare part, even if it has to be a new rear set. Fixing Audi with tapes is a very bad joke.

Return to “Main Audi Q2 chat”